We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving in Baguio and other questions

Which Baguio hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Arriving in Baguio and other questions

Hi my wife and I are arriving at Clark Airport in early April at 4pm. My first question is will we be able to get to Baguio that evening? Some people seem to suggest that if we get to Dau bus terminal in Angeles then there will be buses going to Baguio. But how realistic is it that we would get on one?

Secondly how easy is it to go from Baguio to Banaue? Again, some people seem to suggest it is relatively easy and others not. I read about vans. Are these easy to get and if so from where?

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
16,833 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arriving in Baguio and other questions

Buses from Dau to Baguio come and go about every 5-10 mins. for 24 hours a day so there's no problem even if you arrive at night or even midnight in case of flight delays.

Puerto Galera...
Level Contributor
3,309 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arriving in Baguio and other questions

Dont you believe us ! go back to earlier post a few days back and check out the victoryliner schedule. From Baguio buses go to sagada, the last one is around I pm and from there get a bus to Banaue or get off the bus when it reaches the Sagada-Bontoc-Banaue road and pick up the jeepney there but I would be inclined ro overnight in Sagada and take in a coffin or two.

OR - If you want to get to the the terraces as quickly as possible cutting out Baguio and Sagada

Bus to Manila -There are a few to Samplaloc but not many but if one is coming within 1/2 hour get that or get a 5 star bus to Avenida ( near Dorothea Jose) LRT and a taxi to Florida or Ohayami - I am not sure if Ohayami are still suspended. and get the 9 pm bus direct to Banaue that night. Check out their websites for times.

Edited: 5:03 am, March 10, 2014
Puerto Galera...
Level Contributor
3,309 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arriving in Baguio and other questions

sorry http://www.victoryliner.com/

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,729 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arriving in Baguio and other questions

Baguio to Sagada will need about 7 to 8 hours. Then from Sagada to Banaue will need about 4 hours.

Another option is to instead go to Manila.

Ohayami bus leaves between 2000hrs to 2200hrs. Since they are the only operator now, it is advisable to get the tickets as early as possible.

London
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Arriving in Baguio and other questions

What would you advise? We really want to see the best rice terraces. from what I have read people seem to think that the Batad ones are the best, especially at this time of year. Do you agree with this? And if it is these that we really want to see would you suggest going back to Manila and getting a bus straight to Banaue (And then going onto Batad) or are Baguio and Sagada also nice to see? We are not super pushed for time and would like to see as many aspects of local culture as possible but we do have a limit on how long we can take doing things and do not relish sitting for whole days on a bus.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,729 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arriving in Baguio and other questions

You are coming in April?

Then yes, Batad is awesome then. Just the thought of it always remind me how awesome is it.

If it will to be me, I would prefer to go via Manila. The issue is you arrive at 4pm and by the time you reach Manila, it may be 7pm and you have little chance of getting a ticket.

You still can try your luck. Even if you fail to get one, immediately get a ticket for the next day.

This is how Batad look in May.

…wordpress.com/2011/05/philippines-may-2011-…

I believe April may be similar.

London
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Arriving in Baguio and other questions

Very nice indeed.

Why would you suggest Manila? Because you don't think it is worth seeing Baguio?

How do these bus services tend to work then? Can you not book in advance? You have to just queue up for one and take whichever is available? Any tips on how to generally make the bus travel efficient would be greatly appreciated.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,729 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Arriving in Baguio and other questions

Certain buses let you book in advance where some is based on first come first serve.

You can actually pre book Ohayami bus tickets. Just go to their website for details and read their T&C carefully.

Baguio is a city. To me it is just like Manila but with a cool weather.

Imagine travel to Baguio need 4 hours. Then 7 hours to Sagada. 4 hours to Banaue. 1 hour to Batad.

All these are assuming you can get to the next transport immediately.

Bus to Manila, 2 or 3 hours. Drop off at Sampoloc or take a bus tha end or pass by Sampoloc. Bus to Banaue 9 hours. 1 hour to Batad.

So which do you prefer?

Puerto Galera...
Level Contributor
3,309 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Arriving in Baguio and other questions

If you arrive in Clark at 4 it is always possible there is a Philtranco bus but you would then have to get off - I suggest at Quezon avenue then get a taxi in to Sampaloc. I reckon to Quezon Ave from Clark would be around 2 hours then maybe another 30 mins. To Dau will take about 20/30 mins from Clark and to Avenida again 2 hours then another 30 mins so I reckon you would be arriving at the bus terminal around 7.30.

If you can get tickets in advance great but you do run the risk if the traffic is extra bad - and you are getting into Mnaila rush hour - of being stranded in Manila. its not the end of the earth but not far off it and there will be a hotel/guesthouse so no worries on that.

I agree Baguio itself is another city, for Filipinos it is heaven on earth because it gets a few degrees cooler than stifling and there are parks with a boating lake but you have one of those in the middle of London so feeding ducks is nothing new.

If you have a month or so then you have the luxury of going to Sagada but personally I find the rice terraces is what is worth seeing not another couple of cities/town. Again if you are knackered after a long flight do you want an overnight bus. So its the I Ching, a dice or toss a coin.

Have fun

I think staying in Batad is well worth it, if you are around Banaue at the end of April for the festival then see that but Batad is special.

Edited: 11:00 am, March 10, 2014
London
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Arriving in Baguio and other questions

OK so in summary it sounds like you are saying forget Baguio basically. That is good advice as we have plenty of other things to do. Perhaps a better idea would just be to take it easy the day we arrive, travel to Manila, find a hotel and get the bus to Banaue the next day? So - a few more questions:

1 - What is the least stressful way of getting from Clark to central Manila? We will be arriving after a long flight with no prior experience of the country. We therefore want to arrive somewhere in Manila that is relatively close to a decent place to stay.

2 - Where would you advice staying in Manila? Ideally we prefer hostels. Are there any of these and if so which are decent and near to where buses from Clark stop? If not which areas have decent quality and decent value hotels which are close to where buses from Clark stop?

3 - Is the journey to Banaue better done overnight or during the day? If the scenery is nothing special then we would probably rather do it overnight but if the scenery is interesting then during the day might be better. Which bus company from Manila would you recommend and for that company what is the precedure for booking tickets?

Many thanks.