We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baguio Dilemma

Kruger National...
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Baguio Dilemma

Me and my husband were there in 2007. We were so overwhelmed of the scenery and temperature and decided to walk for few minutes before heading to the hotel. In that 10-20 minutes walk, we were followed and finally surrounded by young (17-25 yrs old) mobster. They took our wallets and threatened us. It was traumatic as we are also Filipinos and get attacked in our own country. Yes, it was traumatic for me but still would love our children to feel what Baguio is (temperature) and to visit the strawberry farm etc.

I am 100% decided to take the kids by April next year but still worried about our safety.

Calm me down.

Worried Mom

manila
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Baguio Dilemma

archerfish, I am in Baguio twice a year (at the least) for the past 20 years. I know that Baguio is generally safe, but not as safe as a decade back, so I don't think you can classify it as "ignorance" of the city but rather a choice of when to go where. A little paranoia in the form of taking precautions every now and then may be a healthy thing as long as it is not overdone.

It's a lifestyle choice. I go to more areas generally classified as more unsafe than Baguio, and my comparison to the latter is how it was a couple of years back. "nuff said.

PS - If you've read my post, I clearly said that I avoid Session to avoid the crowds. - Again - lifestyle choice

Edited: 10:06 pm, August 20, 2011
Quezon City...
Level Contributor
169 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Baguio Dilemma

That is so out of character for most filipinos..unless the kids doing the robbing carried guns or knifes most filipinos will come to your assistance and beat the crap out of the criminal. But baguio isnt what it used to be...i went there last year and its a lot less cleaner than before. Just use your common sense next time and stay safe.

Kruger National...
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Baguio Dilemma

archerfish, sad that happened to us but let me tell you this, despite of what hapenned, we still stayed in Baguio for 3 nights and able to explore the best of Baguio. The wallet is not a big issue as we always travel with FX cards. We filed a report at the local police, and like what I said, they were VERY helpful. In fact, they took us to the area where it happened and as they investigate they found out that those were not locals as they spoke a different language according to the people around the area. FX sent cash through Western Union within an hour and got our new cards in few days.

Kruger National...
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Baguio Dilemma

Patrick, we were overwhelmed with the support of our kababayan in Baguio. Right after the incident, few Pharmacy attendants and bystanders approached us and helped us get to our hotel. They even apologize for not doing anything as they saw my husband on knife-point. But like what I said, we are VERY impress how the police handled the situation. They even phoned us 5 days after the incident and just to give us update of their investigation.

Quezon City...
Level Contributor
169 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Baguio Dilemma

Ooohh your husband was at knife point! No wonder people didnt try to help...but sometimes filipinos would gang up on criminals like that even if they have a knife. Stay safe on your next trip. If your worried go with some of the local tour groups here that cater to the local filipino populace. I would suggest you guys give Sagada a try..im sure the kids would get a kick out of the caving experience there..i know i did. =)

Kruger National...
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Baguio Dilemma

Thanks Patrick!

17. Re: Baguio Dilemma

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:35 am, August 24, 2011
18. Re: Baguio Dilemma

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:05 am, September 23, 2011
19. Re: Baguio Dilemma

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 am, October 12, 2012