We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to get from from Areuipa to Santiago Chile.

Which Puno hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Newcastle, Australia
4 posts
Save Topic
Best way to get from from Areuipa to Santiago Chile.

Hi,

Myself and 3 friends are travelling to Peru November this year.

Planning to spend about 8 days around Cusco than travel to Puno & Arequipa for couple days each location.

We are flying home to Australia out of Santiago Chile.Just wondering has anyone done the bus route to Santiago from Arequipa via Tacna.

Is this long trip worth the effort and are the buses that cover this route safe and reliable?

Is flying the better option?

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
5,951 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to get from from Areuipa to Santiago Chile.

There are no direct flights from Arequipa to Santiago but, if you are pushed for time, take a bus to Tacna, cross the border to Arica and fly from there. The bus journey down through Chile is mostly boring anyway and takes about 24 hours. Flying will not only be quicker, but not necessarlly more expensive. Sky Airlines will likely be cheaper than LAN but, if you are flying home with the latter, adding on a domestic flight with them might be more economical. They might even fly you from Arequipa (via Lima) to Santiago for a good price. Worth asking them.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,147 posts
473 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to get from from Areuipa to Santiago Chile.

Fly to Lima and then to Santiago.

Much faster and safer.

The bus ride is on a very long,long,long desert road

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
4,916 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to get from from Areuipa to Santiago Chile.

Busses in Chile are fairly reliable (and also fairly cheap). You take a bus to Tacna, cross the border by collectivo and in Arica you have the choice between 4 or 5 companies to Santiago. You can also break the bus trip, in La Serena for instance. But it is true the landscape along this road is very boring.

Newcastle, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to get from from Areuipa to Santiago Chile.

Thanks for the advice. Sounds like flying is the best option. A 24hrs bus trip with boring landscape would not be enjoyable.

Monteverde Costa...
Level Contributor
524 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to get from from Areuipa to Santiago Chile.

I just did this same trip in late may. I took a shared van from Arequipa to Moquegua then immediately hopped a shared taxi to Tacna. I left Arequipa at 9:30Am and made it to Tacna around 3Pm. Then a quick shared taxi with a Chilean to Arica passing the border which was a breeze. Total cost was just under $30.00 US. This was much faster than bus. You do have to find a taxi driver in Arequipa that knows where the vans leave Arequipa. Near the bus station but in a hole in the wall place.

Get some pesos in the bus station in Tacna. A better price than I found in Arica. Lots of desks selling pesos. Ask for best rate.

In Arica I took a $40.00 one way flight on Sky to Iquique. Then $10.00 shared van to town then back to airport three days later and a $35.00 one way flight to Antofagasta. Iquique downtown square and ocean boardwalk are very nice.

Each city has the shared vans to the airport with pickup at your hotel. In Arica go to the state run tourism booth right inside the rodavario bus station. The young guy there is very helpful and even booked my transfer to the airport.

The thing with these cheap flights is you need to book them in advance a few days but they are non refundable so you need to be sure of the date.

I did not do this in time to go Antofagasta to Santiago and the flight was $300.00 so decided on bus and it was $110.00 for semi cama to Santiago. Again as others mention not much scenery. The bus took from 2Pm to 9:30Am to get to Santiago. Not much fun and had I set up flights it would have been the same by air Antofagasta to La Serena then La Serena to Santiago.

I would recommend trying to get flights but stop at Iquique and from Antofagasta maybe to La Serena which this time I missed but liked it 7 years ago on last trip.

Try both Sky and Lan for prices on flights. And do not try to do Santiago to X round trip to save as if you do not do the first leg the second leg they cancel. Do it one way only. Low baggage weight limits on these though so pack light.

All in all flying with the added cost of the shared vans to the airports and to towns may be a bit higher than a bus straight from Arica but you save time and get to see some other places without getting burned out

Good luck and have fun.

Newcastle, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to get from from Areuipa to Santiago Chile.

Thanks for the advice. Just need to clarify that the cost of a shared taxis from Arequipa to Tacna was only $30.00 US ? How many shared the Taxi from Arequipa to Moquegua?.

Also, as I mentioned there will be 4 of us traveling. Will we be able to get a shared taxi or van for all of us or will we need 2 vans?

Also,are the shared taxis a safe way of getting from A to B in Peru?

Have got quoted a fare from Arica to Santiago with Sky for $218 Aus. Seems reasonable, however do the domestic fare prices change much in Peru?

Again, thanks for the advice.

Monteverde Costa...
Level Contributor
524 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to get from from Areuipa to Santiago Chile.

The shared van cost Arequipa to Moquegua was 40 soles for one person. The van was packed of course but everyone had a seat. Probably 10 people in it. Luggage was included. If you want the whole van I suppose you could get it for a price. But you would probably have to pay close to the full fare of ten people or whatever you could negotiate below that.

The vans go in order as they fill up. So if you arrive and there four seats you can go on the next one leaving. If not have to wait for the next one to fill up. Do not know if possible to reserve these in advance. I would doubt it.

Then in Moquegua immediately found a guy in a Hyundai car for quick trip to Tacna. He charged 20 Soles. There were three in the back so I assume you can do a deal for all of you for 4 times 20 soles.

Then the Chilean driver from Tacna bus station to Arica bus station was 3,500 pesos. He waited as we cleared the border and that trip was quick.

So 60 soles or about $22.00 Arequipa to Tacna. Then to Arica about $7.00.

I speak good Spanish so that helps in understanding how to get to the place where the vans leave Arequipa. As I mentioned it was a hole in the wall kind of place the van left from but was legit and I never felt nervous or scared a bit. I think it was safe. I chatted with the driver on the ride to Tacna and the Chilean driver was really nice with like a brand new vehicle.

These guys do not typically stop for bathroom breaks or anything so don't fill up with coffee before leaving. There is a very basic dirty bathroom where they let you off in Moquegua. As usual bring TP if you may need it.

I do not know if a bus would have been much cheaper but even if it was the time of the trip is much quicker in a van or car and was worth getting the trip done faster.

As for the fare Arica Santiago that seems about right.

Newcastle, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way to get from from Areuipa to Santiago Chile.

Thanks for the detailed reply. This info will certainly assist us greatly.

Thanks again.

9. Re: Best way to get from from Areuipa to Santiago Chile.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 am, July 15, 2015