We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Early morning Copacabana-Puno / Taquile tour late morning

Kirkland
Level Contributor
54 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Early morning Copacabana-Puno / Taquile tour late morning

Hi,

I am spending my night at Copacabana in Bolivia and would be coming over to Puno in the morning. I am willing to join some tour to see Uros and Taquile islands, but I see that all the tours depart pretty early in the morning (7 am ish). Is there anyway I can join this tour if I depart Copacabana early in the morning? OR are there any tours to these islands which depart a little late - say 9-10 am?

I am planning to visit Isla Del Sol from Copacabana earlier. Would Taquile islands be much different or I should be fine just visiting the Uros islands?

Regards,

Vinay

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
260 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Early morning Copacabana-Puno / Taquile tour late morning

My opinion is that I found nothing attractive in Taquile, is just a tourist grab. I did not do a homestay there, did that timewaster in another island, but the tour took us there for lunch. I felt like I wasted my time. I avoid tours like a plague, and this was just one of those "walk around and meet us in an hour" time wasters and then the typical taking you to a restaurant with some set up of locals displaying things to sell. I loved the Uros tour, but that was very short so they drag you along to visit islands that have not much attractive and homestays are

not what they should be. Just seemed to me like a hotel, locals were not very outspoken. Homestays in Guatemala are so amazing, so simple and yet so rich.

Kirkland
Level Contributor
54 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Early morning Copacabana-Puno / Taquile tour late morning

Thanks Alex. I would probably stay with an afternoon tour to Uros islands then.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
260 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Early morning Copacabana-Puno / Taquile tour late morning

Yes, do the Uros tour and enjoy Lake Titicaca. Just looking at it is stunning. The Uros also offer a short ride in their typical boats.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
15,335 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Early morning Copacabana-Puno / Taquile tour late morning

Alex are you sure you're not reversing the islands? We had the exact opposite experience.

When we were on Uros we were very pressured by the people there to buy stuff. It was completely orchestrated. Like we were brought in as human purses for them to extract money from. And you were surrounded by the reed islands so could practically not even see the lake except for the lagoon between the islands.

Taquile was incredibly beautiful. A hilly island with the snow capped Andes in the background. The lake was crystal blue and we had great views. It was a beautiful hike. No one pressured us to buy anything. It was very low key, low stress. Just a hike through the pretty scenery,

We did not do a homestay so maybe that would have been different.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
260 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Early morning Copacabana-Puno / Taquile tour late morning

No, I know Uros was "stagey" but i did see the lake and thought it was interesting how they made their islands. Taquile to me seemed like a place not for tourists, just nothing to see. I stayed at Amantani I think, and that one had ok scenery.

Kirkland
Level Contributor
54 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Early morning Copacabana-Puno / Taquile tour late morning

Wes,

I am visiting Isla Del Sol the day before. So I assume Taquile would be 'similar' (In a sense - hilly island surrounded by Andes), but Uros would be something different. I read everywhere that they are very touristy, some even suggested that its not worth visiting them. The only reason I want to visit Uros is since those would one-of-a-kind thing. I would love to visit Taquile as well, only if time permits! :-|

Regards,

Vinay

Hopewell, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Early morning Copacabana-Puno / Taquile tour late morning

Vinay, how did this work out for you? I want to do something very similar. I want to stay overnight in Copa and then see Uros but I wouldn't get there till later and everything seems to leave so early.

8. Re: Early morning Copacabana-Puno / Taquile tour late morning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 13, 2016