We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

puno to tacna or arica bus

Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
puno to tacna or arica bus

Google on the net but could not find a definite answer for the route. Does anyone know if there are daily schedule from Puno to Tacna (or even better to Arica)? Also, I would rather pay expensive one for safety and comfort for the long bus trip. Which bus companies are good for this route? Thanks.

Level Contributor
121 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: puno to tacna or arica bus

see here for Puno to Tacna info. scroll down to Tacna peru-guide.com/peru_09_Lake_Titicaca_and_aro…

not too sure how up to date the info is so you might try to call (or have your hotel or hostel call) the company to verify schedule.

personally had a bad time with San Martin. i arrived safely in Tacna on an overnight from Cusco but the experience was infuriating. the driver stopped to pick up extra passengers on the side of the road and said people crammed themselves and their belonging into the bus aisles. (prohibited practices, btw, but common on cheap local buses.)

an alternative would be to detour through Arequipa. roundabout way, but it gives you more options and security.

search on this forum or the Chile forum for info on how to transfer between Tacna and Arica. it's super easy if you know the steps.

Graz, Austria
Level Contributor
7 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: puno to tacna or arica bus

Unfortunately, that guide is not really updated, so I would try to get more information. I am also looking for a secure and confortable bus from Puno to Tacna.

Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: puno to tacna or arica bus

I spent hours from books and internet but could not find answers. Just know several buses but don't know if they are regular and comfortable.

Graz, Austria
Level Contributor
7 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: puno to tacna or arica bus

I have read here www.viajeros.com/diarios/puno/de-puno-a-tacna that there are buses at 6:45, 7:45 y 8:45 a.m. and at 6:45, 7:45 and 8:45 p.m. - that information is from August, 2011, so not really recent neither ... I also wrote to bus company Flores, hopefully, I will get an answer. I will tell you.

Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: puno to tacna or arica bus

i am here in Arequipa and from iperu information, there are 4 buses running in that route. it is fast to get there via laraqueri route which is about 6 hours.

turismo san martin 09:45, 21:00, 22:00

exprico sagitario 21:15

bus lines 21:15

virgen copacasana 21:15

company names spelling may not be correct

Graz, Austria
Level Contributor
7 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: puno to tacna or arica bus

Thanks a lot for your answer!

Moscow,Russia
Level Contributor
20 posts
661 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: puno to tacna or arica bus

Hi there guys! just to make it clear. What is the best option from Puno to Tacna ? The best bus company? we arrive at 4-5 p.m. after lake trip and have 2 options - Go directly to Tacna with evening bus at 6-7 p.m for example or go to Arequipa frist, spend night there and catch a good bus to Tacna early in the morning. Please advise if you have any ideas.

Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: puno to tacna or arica bus

I took the San Martin bus with the Cama (like a first class airline seat) from Puno to Tacna and you can sleep pretty well and I don't know much about the 2nd floor of the regular semi-cama. The price is 50 soles. The journey takes 7 hours. Overall the car condition is decent but there is no service such as meal or water or anything. Basically, it is just a transportation vehicle with toilet available to use. If you take Cruz del Sol bus before, you need to be aware of this and there is no blanket provided. During the route, I guess it stays at around 4700m high in altitude for hours and it is very chilly and the air is cold inside the bus (I am not quite sure if the heater was on or not, felt it sometimes). So, I would recommend to bring warm clothes and most of the passengers have the warm clothes with blankets. I did not, therefore, suffer quite a bit until one passenger passes one blanket for me since I coughed a lot.

When the bus arrives at the bus station, it is not the bus station with the international bus station right next to it. You need to take a taxi with 5 soles to the bus station where you can ride to Arica.

Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: puno to tacna or arica bus

To go from Puno to Arequipa and then to Tacna will take you over 12 hours. Unless you intend to stay at Arequipa and touring around, I would recommend to go straight to Tacna from Puno.

Moscow,Russia
Level Contributor
20 posts
661 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: puno to tacna or arica bus

Frank C, thank you so much! Wrote down your advise. Do you know the timetable for this bus? Do all the San Martin buses have this nice cama ?