We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Value of tours in Puno

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
34 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
Value of tours in Puno

My husband and I (Canadians) will be travelling to Puno and Lake Titacaca next May. We plan to bus from Cusco take hotel in Puno, tour islands the next morning (pick up tour once we are there). We are thinking of taking the two day tour to Islas del Sol y de la Luna on Bolivia side of lake including overnight stay in hotel on Isla del Sol with Crillon Tours.

Have others done this two day tour? is it worthwhile as it is quite expensive.

We understand that as Canadians we do not need Visa to enter Bolivia for short visit of less than 30 days. Someone mentioned in Forum we need Yellow Fever shots? Does anyone know if that is true as not mentioned on website.

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
3,885 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Value of tours in Puno

Offically the country of Boliva requires that you have a Yellow Fever vacination prior to entering unless you have a written letter from a medical doctor stating reasons why you cannot get one however theres been reports of people crossing into Bolivia at Lake Titicaca where the officials have not cared if they have gotten the shot or not so its a bit of a gamble I think. You might get it and not need it or might not get it and need it. This website has great info on Bolivia and talks more about the Yellow Fever Vacination requirements.

http://www.boliviabella.com/yellow-fever.html

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Value of tours in Puno

They have not been asking for the yellow fever certificate for a while, and if you are with Crillon (or Transturin) I doubt they will bother you for it. The only reason that it might be re-instituted is if there is a human yellow fever out break or suspected case elsewhere in Peru or Bolivia.

About a year ago November, I took a one day transfer from Puno to La Paz that included a stop at Isla del Sol, but I did not go with Crillon. I went with Transturin. I enjoyed it. Their boats are larger than Crillon's and they include a visit at their nice little museum at Inti Wata. We continued on to La Paz arriving at around sunset. I think it is worthwhile to visit La Paz for a day, the view coming into the city from El Alto is amazing and the shopping is far better than in the Peruvian tourist markets. If you don't have more time you can take another route returning to Peru and take in Tiwanaku on the way, or you can fly back from La Paz. However if you do have time I think it is worthwhile to either spend a few nights in La Paz or also go to see the Salar de Uyuni. Since travel in Bolivia can be hit or miss with blockades, etc, I booked things as I went, rather than in advance.

http://www.transturin.com/

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
34 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Value of tours in Puno

Thanks for the info and thanks for the web links. I will do some more research.

Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
4,744 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Value of tours in Puno

I was just in La Paz in September and was told If I was only visiting the Lake Titicaca area that I did not need the yellow fever vaccination.

5. Re: Value of tours in Puno

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, January 07, 2014