We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Island homestay - what conditions to be expected?

L H
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Topic
Island homestay - what conditions to be expected?

Hi!

I am considering doing a 2D/1N tour of the islands, but not too sure what sort of accommodation conditions are to be expected (which I kind of need to find out, before deciding to "brave it"). I've seen some vague descriptions from travel agencies' websites about "basic toilets...best to bring own sleeping bag" etc., but not too sure how "basic" it really is. Will it be warm and clean? Will there be hot water for shower?

If this ever gets compared to hotels, what sort of category will it fall into? More like basic hostel, or even worse?

Thanks a lot in advance!

LH

Titikaka Real Travel
Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Archaeology Tours, Cultural Tours
Quechuas Travel
Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips, Archaeology Tours
Puno Tours Servicios Turisticos
Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
150 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Island homestay - what conditions to be expected?

I believe many of the descriptions are vague because each house is different. As I understand it, the island homestays work on a general “rotation” system so each participating family has somewhat equal access to tourist dollars. Since homestays are actually hosted by individual families, the amenities you’ll find at each place will vary slightly.

You’re sure to have a clean but rustic bed that will probably have a wool blanket, but everything else is probably up for grabs. You’re only staying one night so you shouldn’t have to take a shower anyway and remember you’ll have access to amenities that are equal to or nicer than what the locals live with and in every day.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Island homestay - what conditions to be expected?

I think it does depend on which Island you stay. We stayed on Taquile Island and it was fantastic - one tof the highlights of our4 week trip. We had flushing toilets and some rooms had electric light. We had good meals and it was an extremely interesting place to visit.

Mentioned in this post
Taquile Island
Taquile Island
Puno Region, Peru
L H
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Island homestay - what conditions to be expected?

Thanks a lot! Do you think sleeping bag would be necessary, or sleeping bag liner should suffice?

Shandra, would you mind letting me know which tour agent you used? I've been trying to search for a tour with stay on Taquile oneline for 30 min and still can't find anything...thanks a ton!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Island homestay - what conditions to be expected?

u can read the reviews for Amantani n Taquille... I stayed overnight at Amantani, its really basic but hey u are not going to stay there forever... no need to bring sleeping bag.... its cold n blanket provided... u practically sleep on whatever u are wearing... the house I stayed in has no flushing toilet let alone a shower... if comfort creature is what u are looking for best not to stay overnight there... its more of an educational trip to see the harsh living conditions there... we stopped by Taquille for lunch on the way back n I think scenery wise Taquille is nicer but also more touristy... watch out for the kids pestering u to buy stuffs from them... the restaurant there serves fantastic fried fish...

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g294311-d3…

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g298442-d3…

L H
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Island homestay - what conditions to be expected?

Thank you raras2u!

Australia
Level Contributor
35 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Island homestay - what conditions to be expected?

We had a homestay with a family on the northern headland of Lake Titikaka for one night and while we walked into very basic conditions, they were soon forgotten as our experience was very enriching and turned out to be one of the highlights of our trip.

Our room was clean with beds laden with warm blankets. We didn’t have a ‘flushing’ toilet as such, just the old bucket of water down the bowl job! We didn’t have a shower, but we had access to clean water and for a one night visit, it was fine. Of course we had our antibacterial hand wash and wet wipes with us anyway, so all was well.

Our family was warm and inviting and despite the obvious communication barrier, we had a fantastic time and didn’t want to leave. I had bought a Quechua - Spanish - English book at the market in Cuzco and it helped enormously for basic greetings and key words. We joined in with the gardening, cooking and even went fishing! Such good memories!

We went for a walk across nearby Taquile Island, stopping en route for lunch at a local restaurant. We did not have a problem with children pestering us to buy things; only smiles and shy grins!

Edited: 7:45 am, September 20, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Taquile Island
Taquile Island
Puno Region, Peru
Portland, OR
Level Contributor
482 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Island homestay - what conditions to be expected?

No sleeping bag will be necessary. All homes that offer homestay are required by the tourism board to meet certain safety and habitational requirements before they will be allowed to host tourists. They are required to provide a bed and warm blankets and bedding to all guests. They must also provide a separate quarters, meaning a real room for each person or couple. They must also have some kind of bathroom facilities on site, and shower facilities.

Every house is a little different and some families are more wealthy than others. Our house was pretty modest but rather large. We stayed in a room with two full size beds on an upper floor. The bathrooms were modern(ish) and had a working shower, but without hot water. To use the toilet we were provided a bucket that was filled with water and you dump it in the toilet afterwards to flush. Also, you will not want to flush paper in their toilets, it's a no no there. Our family spoke a litlte english but not much but we had a private guide and stayed there with another couple and had no problem talking with them.

Some minor creature comforts aside, our stay was wonderful. We had a great family that let us share their home for a night and cooked us a wonderful meal. It was a great experience and I'm glad I did it.

Edited: 5:46 pm, September 20, 2012
8. Re: Island homestay - what conditions to be expected?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, September 22, 2013