We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake Titicaca floating islands

Which Puno hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Herndon, Virginia
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Topic
Lake Titicaca floating islands

who has stayed overnight on a floating island? We have a group ranging from 13 yr olds to adults - would it work for us? What does anyone think/recommend?

Puno, Peru
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Lake Titicaca floating islands

you recomended salidastravel@hotmail www.salidastravel.com y beutifull service

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
34 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lake Titicaca floating islands

Hi,

I stayed overnight on Amantani which is not a floating one but is a great place to stay, we stayed with a local family as ´part of a tour with Allways travel which inlcuded a visit to the floating islands on the way.

The company was amazing and delivered in every way. The other great thing about the company is that is working with the islanders to improve literacy and educational facilities on the Islands so you know that you are helping too.

Our guide Victor was perfect. I highly recommend contacting them.

http://www.titicacaperu.com/

Enjoy!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
188 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lake Titicaca floating islands

I agree, Amantani is a nice island to stay on. I also really advocate staying on Taquile as well.

Cheers,

Jordan

Knowmad Adventurer

4. Re: Lake Titicaca floating islands

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:17 pm, June 19, 2012
Minnesota
Level Contributor
120 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lake Titicaca floating islands

Like TangoMK, we stayed on Amantani with Allways, and had a great experience. Not sure I'd really want to stay on the floating islands, as each one is very, very small, and there would not be much to do. We had plenty of time to visit them on our way to Amantani. On Amantani we had afternoon time with our families, we hiked to the top of the island to see the sunset, and had a fiesta with dancing that night. The next day we went to Taquile, which looks like a Greek island. The shortness of breath walking uphill will soon remind you it's not! You need to get out beyond the floating islands to be in the main part of Lake Titicaca.

boston
Level Contributor
456 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lake Titicaca floating islands

We stayed on Amantani at the Kantuta Lodge - loved it there, you will too.

Edmonton, Canada
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Lake Titicaca floating islands

I was interested in the homestay on the islands, but in the end decided to just do a day trip instead. I was SO thankful that I made that choice. The hour I spent on the floating islands was excruciatingly awkward and uncomfortable, and mostly consisted of trying to avoid being guilted into buying poorly made junk. I met up with friends who had done the homestay, and they said there was nothing to do, and they were really tired of eating tasteless potatoes.

Edited: 2:37 am, June 25, 2012
Houston
Level Contributor
786 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lake Titicaca floating islands

Nothing to do? Make friends? Take photos? Have conversations? Learn the history? Play games? Relax? Not even read a book? What about all the other places? They all entertain the traveler night and day?

If you plan on a homestay, the point of that is to live as the locals do and experience their lives and culture while giving them a viable source if income. It's a win-win, right?

Poorly made junk? We have one of the art pieces right on the wall in our hallway. It gets compliments from everyone and is great for opening a conversation about some of the different cultures in Perú.

And potatoes--really? In Perú? Where'd they find potatoes? There wasn't any butter from the cows that are kept on the islands?

I am thinking that the difference in experiences is all in the attitude, right?

Edited: 10:06 am, June 25, 2012
Little Canfield...
Level Contributor
922 posts
361 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lake Titicaca floating islands

Well said Emintx... as the saying goes, When in Rome do as the Romans do comes to mind! Nowadays people expect to be entertained 24/7.

Perhaps a little research before a trip would be useful and then the visitor would be prepared to immerse themselves in a totally different lifestyle and culture.

We spent a few hours on Uros Island and really enjoyed it. My grandson loves "the poorly made junk" that I bought for him!!

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Lake Titicaca floating islands

I did a tour on the Lake in December last year and once on the lake I wished that I had an overnight stay on one of the Islands. I hear that Amantani is the most popular to spend the night.

Erik