We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiring a car/taxi for 6 - Cuzco to Puno

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
245 reviews
Save Topic
Hiring a car/taxi for 6 - Cuzco to Puno

To maximize time it looks as though the best way to get from Cuzco to Puno is to take the night bus. Is it easy to pick up a van or taxi in Cuzco for private hire? I imagine we would be more comfortable in a private vehicle, and the driver would be more likely to stop where we might like?

Mentioned in this post
Puno
Puno
Puno Region, Peru
california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiring a car/taxi for 6 - Cuzco to Puno

I would discourage you from taking a night bus. A day bus or minivan is safer and you will be able to see some sights along the way .

Inka Express is the preferred tourist service between Cusco and Puno.

Sorry I don't have a service for you but would think all of the recommended local tour agencies in Cusco can help you. Basically you are asking for a private tour.

Mentioned in this post
Inka Express
Inka Express
155 Reviews
Cusco, Peru
Cusco
Cusco
Cusco Region, Peru
Puno
Puno
Puno Region, Peru
cusco
Level Contributor
568 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiring a car/taxi for 6 - Cuzco to Puno

Any agency will be able to provide a minivan;

www.trekperu.com

www.waykitrek.net

and more on trip advisor.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiring a car/taxi for 6 - Cuzco to Puno

Thanks! The issue is not so much about sightseeing - it's more about time we are somewhat stuck in Cusco - we've opted for the upgraded train and an extra night in Aguas Caliente after our trek. This has us back in Cusco so late in the evening, I'd like to not waste more daylight hours just getting somewhere.

Thanks so much for the links. Very much appreciate!

Mentioned in this post
Cusco
Cusco
Cusco Region, Peru
Colorado
Level Contributor
71 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiring a car/taxi for 6 - Cuzco to Puno

I will chime in - if not too late. But it may seem like "wasting" a day. I'm with you for the most part. BUT - the drive from Cusco to Puno by bus was fabulous. We stopped at 5 places and saw an amazing church and 2 Inca ruins that were fascinating. We all enjoyed the day very much. We used Cruz del Sur and found it to be an excellent service. Cost with lunch was very affordable.

Mentioned in this post
Cusco
Cusco
Cusco Region, Peru
Puno
Puno
Puno Region, Peru
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiring a car/taxi for 6 - Cuzco to Puno

Thanks - we change our Aguas Caliente reservation and have booked the luxury bus for the trip to Puno. We were hoping for the train, but it is sold out on our dates! So the bus it is. Looking forward to this, now just trying to figure out how to get to Puerto Maldonado from here...fun puzzle, but we're almost there!

Thanks again.

Mentioned in this post
Puno
Puno
Puno Region, Peru
Puerto Maldonado
Puerto Maldonado
Madre de Dios Region, Peru
california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiring a car/taxi for 6 - Cuzco to Puno

Star Peru has inexpensive flights between Cusco and PM.

Mentioned in this post
Peru
Peru
South America
Cusco
Cusco
Cusco Region, Peru
Nice, France
Level Contributor
118 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hiring a car/taxi for 6 - Cuzco to Puno

READ THIS NOTE!

I do not recommend Inka Express we just returned from the trip Puno-Cuzco and do not delivered what we expected based on the brochure: in Pucara they send tourist to local museum insted of the Museo Litico, they do not offer a glass of wather during the entire trip, the toilet was dirty! and Daniel,the tour guide express that he is not responsible of the service! In the web page the cost is usd50 and they charged us usd55 and NO invoice were delivered! we send the claim to promperu and they are investigating.

Mentioned in this post
Puno
Puno
Puno Region, Peru
8. Re: Hiring a car/taxi for 6 - Cuzco to Puno

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, August 26, 2013