We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Unrest in Juliaca

Which Puno hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
56 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Unrest in Juliaca

Anyone have a crystal ball prediction about what the state of the unrest in Juliaca will be in a few weeks? We are scheduled to pass by there on July 23, and to take the plane back to Lima from there on July 30.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Unrest in Juliaca

I am scheduled to fly out from Puno to Lima around August 1-2 so hopefully things will be back to normal by then. Whoever has the latest info on the unrest in that area, please keep updating on this blog. Thanks -:)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
81 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Unrest in Juliaca

As of last night the roads were fine but the airport is still closed. We are hoping it opens today or so since we are supposed to fly out tomorrow.

Honolulu, HI
Level Contributor
9 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Unrest in Juliaca

The damages caused by the demonstrations last week at Juliaca airport did heavy damage. The government said (as of 6JUL2011) that it will be at least four(4) months before Juliaca airport opens again.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
56 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Unrest in Juliaca

I just emailed StarPeru, and was told that they expected to be running flights from Juliaca on July 29, which is when we would be flying. They said that I should go ahead and buy the ticket. So I just bought the ticket, and they let me do it (though I had to pay another $30 because my card was not in their "secure Visa" list!). There is a lot of conflicting information here---can anyone sort it out?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
337 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Unrest in Juliaca

That's interesting, because the response I got from StarPeru the other day said they were running flights as normal and not to worry. Seems it depends on who answers the email...

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
56 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Unrest in Juliaca

That is essentially the information I got from airline customer service, as well as from the actual ticket counter in Juliaca. However, they did qualify their response by saying something like they "expect" to be running flights "as of now," which does leave an opening for them to cancel should further unrest occur.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,253 posts
483 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Unrest in Juliaca

The Juliaca airport started operations today with 3 flights.

As of tomorrow July the 11th, it will be operating only the morning flights until full repairs are acomplished, this will take aproximately 4 more months.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
56 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Unrest in Juliaca

Thank you for the clarification. Ours is a morning flight.

19. Re: Unrest in Juliaca

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, October 07, 2012