We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Civil unrest in Puno

liverpool
Level Contributor
14 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Civil unrest in Puno

Hi

Due to leave for Peru on Tuesday and due in Puno some 10 days later. Given the reported problems am thinking I may have to change my plans to go to Lake Titicaca. Has any one any up to date information about how calm it is since the government made an announcement to revoke mining rights yesterday?

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Civil unrest in Puno

Probably you will need to change your plans to go to Puno, it is too soon to know, the government can make announcements but until the other part does not accept them the unrest will continue, sorry....

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,741 posts
539 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Civil unrest in Puno

Theoretically the problem has been solved today and Puno is returning to normal. The airport is still closed as last night it encountered some serious damage.

I suggest you keep on checking on this forum and confirm the status of Puno

San Francisco...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Civil unrest in Puno

We are scheduled to arrive in Puno on July 1st and don't really know what to do. Anyone have any ideas on what the situation may be like in the next 2-3 days?

liverpool
Level Contributor
14 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Civil unrest in Puno

Hi - thanks for your all your replies. i spoke to the tour operator today and they too are expecting the trouble to improve over the next week so i am reassured- there is another post about juliaca which is also relevant.to this post. I guess the situation will change day by day

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Civil unrest in Puno

Hopefully it will be over soon and it seems that things are returning to "normal" at least that it is on the news....let's see what happens

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
15 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Civil unrest in Puno

My son just spent two nights in Puno and visited Lake Titicaca (7/1 - 7/2). He is with a group of high school students. He said it is safe to go. I read that the strike just ended.

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Civil unrest in Puno

Great news! Thank you MomCatalina

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
3 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Civil unrest in Puno

I heard that 6 people were shot in puno a few days ago they were protesting. I am scheduled to go there july 21st does anyone know what is happening?

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Civil unrest in Puno

All is well and safe in Puno at this moment

London, Canada
Level Contributor
292 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Civil unrest in Puno

I am in Arequipa, and flying to juliaca (Puno) with my daughter this morning for 3 days before going onward to cuzco...I will try to report in tonight...please reply to this note, then it will be in my email, and I will remember..on holiday...hard to remember everything! Lol!