We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Puno hotel and tours

Livermore...
Level Contributor
119 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Puno hotel and tours

We will be arriving in Puno via train and staying at the Libertador Lago Titicaca two nights. I would appreciate any comments on the hotel and also which day tours are best. If we pick up a local tour, do they take US dollars? Would you suggest eating at the hotel or going into Puno to eat.

We will be in Peru 9 days (Lima, Cuzco, SV, m.p. and Puno) and I'm wondering how much of the vacation can be paid by Visa and how much Peruvian money we need to take for taxi's, train, food etc. Is US dollars accepted at the entrance to M.P. and for the bus ride to M.P. from Aquas Calientes?

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,430 posts
505 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Puno hotel and tours

You can use US $ and Peruvian soles almost in every place.VISA card is also accepted at most hotels and restaurants.

Entrance to MP has to be paid in soles.

You will also find many ATM machines in Cusco if you need extra cash.

Exchange yr dollars for soles at exchange offices as there are many false sol and US $ bills.

Libertador must be the best hotel in Puno (not many other available) Eat at the hotel to avoid food poisoning, unless you find a good restaurant (recommended by the hotel)

You can book yr day tours through the hotel as well.

When in the SV I suggest the Kuychi Rumi Hotel (www.urubamba.com) I own one of the houses. See the reviews on Tripadvisor.

WILSON,NC
Level Contributor
10 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Puno hotel and tours

Just got back this week from Peru and we stayed in Puno two nights. We stayed at Casa Andina Plaza which is downtown near the Plaza and pedestrian mall that has many restaurants. We ate at several restaurants and had no problem. We did follow the usual recommendations about bottled water, no raw vegetables, etc.

We stayed at Libertador in Cusco and am sure that it will be safe at Puno also.

Most major restaurants and hotels take Visa and Am Express. There are ATMs at most major banks and so you can get a constant source of Soles.

We ended taking a 3-4 hour tour of the boat that took us to the floating islands. To get to Taquile Island the tours were 8-9 hours and since this was the end of our trip we needed a rest. In Puno we also took a short tour that included some nearby inca funeral towers and a visit in one of the rural homes. The home visit was one of our highlights, since it showed us the inside of the adobe homes you will see and even included a tasting of the local dishes.

Tickets to Macchu Picchu must be purchased in the town before you board the bus to go to the ruins. We paid for both in Soles and I am not sure if they take $ or Visa.

Livermore...
Level Contributor
119 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Puno hotel and tours

Thanks for the info. It's helpful to know what kind of tours are available at the lake.

We will also be staying at the Libertador in Cusco, so hope it is a nice hotel.

I thought you could purchase tickets to MP when we arrived there, so it is good to know to buy tickets in town.

Thanks again..

Florida
Level Contributor
183 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Puno hotel and tours

Kato - make sure you have peruvian enough peruvian soles when you are in Aguas Calientes (Machu Picchu) You will get a lousy exchange rate on your dollars there and I believe you can only pay for your entrance to MAPI with soles up at the top. Unless something has recently changed, you buy your bus tickets for the ride up to the entrance down at the bus station and then you can pay to go in at the entrance. You can also have someone book all of this for you and hand you a packet when you get off the plane in Cusco. That is where Melissa can help you at rainbowtrailtour.net

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,430 posts
505 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Puno hotel and tours

In MP town you buy the bus tickets for the ride up to MP ruins.

At the entrance of MP ruins you pay yr ticket to enter the ruins.

Take peruvian currency (soles) as the exchange rates in MP town are lowsy.

Livermore...
Level Contributor
119 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Puno hotel and tours

Xochitl, we will be staying at K'uychi Rumi the first week in Nov. I understand you own one of the houses there. Do you know the mayor of Urubamba? I just discovered his wife is related to a friend of mine. Thanks again for all the help you have given in answering so many of my questions previously.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,430 posts
505 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Puno hotel and tours

My brother Carlos, the architect of the KR, and husband of Claudia,the administrator of the KR, is a personal friend of the major.(its all in the family...) Just let him know if you want to visit with him.

Have fun at the KR.