We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

acclimitasing in Puno

sydney
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Topic
acclimitasing in Puno

In lieu of acclimitasing in Cuzco ahead of 9d trek to Machu Picchu I was thinking of heading out to Puno and Lake Titicaca instead. I presume that it's ok since the altitudes are similar. In planning this I have a few questions:

1. I will most likely be flying in from Lima on an early morning flight (450am) that stops via Arequipa (best connection with my midnight arrival after a couple hops from Easter Is - Santiago - Lima). Are there any places in Juliaca airport to store luggage? I don't exactly want to be carrying too much for a 2 night stop.

2. Flight is scheduled to arrive @ 730am in Juliaca - does that allow sufficient time for me to head into Puno (do collectivos run that early?) and hop on a boat to the islands (Uros/Taquile/Amantani - haven't decided which one...) for an o/night stay?

3. How long is the boat trip to a) Uros, b) Taquile, c) Amantani? And are there "tours" that include a couple of these islands? My thoughts are to head to one island, stay o/night, next day head to another island and last boat back to Puno...

4. Solo arrangements or join tour? Any recommended operators?

5. Puno - Cuzco. If I elect to fly Juliaca to Cuzco direct on LP's 805am service will I have trouble getting from Puno to the airport in time? Other option is via bus - how long does this take and any recommended operators? I don't want to arrive in Cuzco too late as I will be up and trekking very early next morning!

Edgar Adventures
City Tours, Kayaking & Canoeing, Sightseeing Tours, Multi-day Tours, Cultural Tours
Inca Lake - Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
All Ways Travel
Cultural Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Multi-day Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Day Trips
Incas Paradise
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Hop-On Hop-Off Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Sutton Coldfield
Level Contributor
279 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: acclimitasing in Puno

not certain about Juliaca airport but it is 1 hour away from Puno. You will need to fing out connections

The bus/coach from Puno to Cusco would probably be a better return option if you can get to the mainland in time 8.30 arrives in Cusco 3.15 you can see much more of the country.

Boat trips raing from 2hrs, 1/2 day, full day and overnight stays.

Hints for acclinmatising keep hydrated, [less alcohol] take iron tables to increase haemoglobin levels, drink lots of coca tea some people benefit from ginko biloa pills

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,640 posts
510 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: acclimitasing in Puno

Personally I think that going straight to Puno to acclimatize is absolutely crazy.

Normally weaht its recommended is to acclimatize at lower altitudes and then climb up, not the other way around.

Puno is much higher than Cusco.

Pls read : tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294311-c15318/Peru:A…

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,183 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: acclimitasing in Puno

Puno is about 13,000ft. altitude. My husband had altitude problems there, even after staying in the Sacred Valley, Cusco, & hiking the Inca Trail.

So, I agree with Xochitl that going to Puno first is not a good plan. The altitude will probably hit you hard & you might be sick for several days there, if you have not gradually acclimatized.

You could spend a couple of days in the Sacred Valley (about 9000ft), then go to Cusco (11000ft) for 2 or 3 days, then start your trek. There is a lot to see & do in the SV & Cusco. & save Lake T for after your trek.

NYC
Level Contributor
639 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: acclimitasing in Puno

I agree with Xochitl & Redhead .... Puno is at higher altitude, and it does make a difference. I was at cusco for a few days, hiked the Inca Trail, and then had the worst nausea when I spent the night in Puno, and took about 8 hours to go away.

Of course, if altitude doesn't affect you then this is all moot. But if you don't know .... then acclimatization is always better at lower altitudes.

Don't agree with other poster regarding taking iron pills .... could cause a lot of other problems. Stay hydrated, drink coca tea, excedrin (worked for me), and take it easy when you first arrive.

5. Re: acclimitasing in Puno

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:20 am, September 25, 2009