In lieu of acclimitasing in Cuzco ahead of 9d trek to Machu Picchu I was thinking of heading out to Puno and Lake Titicaca instead. I presume that it's ok since the altitudes are similar. In planning this I have a few questions:
1. I will most likely be flying in from Lima on an early morning flight (450am) that stops via Arequipa (best connection with my midnight arrival after a couple hops from Easter Is - Santiago - Lima). Are there any places in Juliaca airport to store luggage? I don't exactly want to be carrying too much for a 2 night stop.
2. Flight is scheduled to arrive @ 730am in Juliaca - does that allow sufficient time for me to head into Puno (do collectivos run that early?) and hop on a boat to the islands (Uros/Taquile/Amantani - haven't decided which one...) for an o/night stay?
3. How long is the boat trip to a) Uros, b) Taquile, c) Amantani? And are there "tours" that include a couple of these islands? My thoughts are to head to one island, stay o/night, next day head to another island and last boat back to Puno...
4. Solo arrangements or join tour? Any recommended operators?
5. Puno - Cuzco. If I elect to fly Juliaca to Cuzco direct on LP's 805am service will I have trouble getting from Puno to the airport in time? Other option is via bus - how long does this take and any recommended operators? I don't want to arrive in Cuzco too late as I will be up and trekking very early next morning!