We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cusco to Puno

Ireland
5 posts
Save Topic
Cusco to Puno

Hi there,

Looking for some advice on geting from Cusco to Puno - have read reports here of people getting the train but looked this up and its $260 for 2 people and you can fly to Juliaca for $120 for two people. Would we be missing out on not getting the train? We are going in September?

Thanks

Naima76

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,182 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cusco to Puno

I am going Cusco to Puno (also Sept!) on the Andean Explorer, which is the first-class train. Read other posts on this -- it sounds really wonderful. (LivingLife recently posted a review July 13 --she love it). You can do a search on this forum --I tried "Andean Explorer" & got lots of info. What a read here made the Andean Explorer a "must do" for my trip to Peru.

Note: There is a much cheaper train -- it's only $19 each. It may be part of the same train as the Andean Explorer, just different cars. check the perurail website for info. Both only go 3 days a week.

There is also the bus option --many people liked that trip as well. By either train or bus, you see a lot of scenery you would miss on the plane. Also, train or bus go to Puno, plane goes to Juliaca, so you still have a long taxi ride into Puno if you fly. Suerte!

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,530 posts
509 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cusco to Puno

It really depends on the amount of free time you have on yr planned trip and if you enjoy train or bus trips.

I would say its a personal choice.

Florida
Level Contributor
183 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cusco to Puno

Unless you are really stuck for time, take the bus or train. If you don't need super luxury, I would suggest the bus intead of the less expensive train. It is nicer. If you can splurge, do the Andean Explorer. Buy yourself some nice souveneirs with the money you don't spend on the Explorer of you take the bus.

4. Re: Cusco to Puno

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:16 pm, September 06, 2009