We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Strikes Shut Down Puno, Peru - May 30, 2018

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1 post
49 reviews
23 helpful votes
Strikes Shut Down Puno, Peru - May 30, 2018

Just landed at Juliaca airport which is a ghost town. We understand that the strikes have stopped all highway traffic so we can’t get to Puno yet. I only grew concerned when I read a tweet indicating that the Army was being called to intervene, and our driver parked blocks from the airport because protesters were approaching the airport and he feared violence. Any one here have news?

Robert

Moline, Illinois
1 post
1. Re: Strikes Shut Down Puno, Peru - May 30, 2018

I am downtown Puno right now in hotel. I think the protest is close to over, however, all restaurants and taxis are not in service and doors locked. We drove through Juliaca last night and most of the streets were blocked with trees and broken glass with large rocks.

Edited: 3:33 pm, May 30, 2018
Ballarat
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
1 helpful vote
2. Re: Strikes Shut Down Puno, Peru - May 30, 2018

I'm in Puno also was hoping to bus out today to Cusco but alas no luck due to strike. My hotel staff say strike for 1 day only but not sure what to think. Lots of police on the street and army and navy people staying in my hotel also. Fingers crossed it will be over tomorrow!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
11 reviews
18 helpful votes
3. Re: Strikes Shut Down Puno, Peru - May 30, 2018

Im sitting on a bus just outside Puno right now! The road is well and truly blocked. There are rocks on the road and tyres burning! Our driver has been talking to some of the strikers, but no definite answer as to when it will be over.

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
3 posts
24 reviews
9 helpful votes
4. Re: Strikes Shut Down Puno, Peru - May 30, 2018

We are in Arequipa and were due to leave for Puno early tomorrow morning. We have been told Arequipa will be locked down by the police, so our bus company can't get into Arequipa and we can't get out. In Arequipa there are protests scheduled tomorrow against the planned rise in gas prices. We have been told by Peru Hop (out travel company) that the protests will last he whole of the 31st but that things should be back on again on the 1st. Can't find out any info elsewhere though.

The roads were busy with people heading out of Arequipa tonight. We couldn't get on a bus so have booked accommodation in Arequipa and will try and get out on the 1st.

2 posts
5. Re: Strikes Shut Down Puno, Peru - May 30, 2018

We arrived in juliaca yesterday and were waiting for a legit bus to puno for hours and hours. We waited 6 hours then luckily decided to catch a cab. As in other replies, roads were covered with rocks branches and bonfires. Our driver took us as far into the blockade as he could - further than buses could. We then got out fully prepared to walk the rest of the journey (40min by google maps) but luckily got another cab that was within the blockade line. The walk through the blockade was about 5 minutes and if it was the same as last night - I would do that again. Take a photo of the cab numberplate and put on Facebook just in case.

1 post
6. Re: Strikes Shut Down Puno, Peru - May 30, 2018

Is there any way we can keep up to date with the Puno protests? Government websites?

Have any protests effected Arequipa or cusco? We planned to go to Puno - Cusco - Arequipa!

7. Re: Strikes Shut Down Puno, Peru - May 30, 2018

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, June 02, 2019