We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Market selling miniatures

U.S.A. ( the land...
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
Save Topic
Market selling miniatures

Hi everyone!

Where in Puno is the market which sells miniatures of almost anything? Is there a name for it? What are those miniatures called in Spanish or Quechua?

I read about this in a guide book and found it very intriguing.

Thanks!

Puno
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Market selling miniatures

Hello Livinglife,

These miniatures can be found with difficulty in the markets of crafts. However, the Alasitas is a special celebration in May.

"Alasita" is an Aymara term that means: "buy me", this it is a popular activity of Aymara origin.

Alasita is one of the typical Andean celebrations, the peculiarity of which is the representation of the "real world" and its components in small versions of same; that is, miniatures of objects, particularly the most desired ones, that are fabricated for the occasion and bought as an amulet that represents what the object-to-be will sooner or later be possessed, or hold as one's own when luck and abundance favors the owner.

In Puno Peru, the American Institute of Art, cultural entity with 62 years, celebrates the party of "Ekeko" the abundance God, it is celebrated on the week after the 3rd. of May; to who people give gifts and they conserve them according to the tradition, this practice is part from the homage to the Cruz Party (Cruz of Bellavista Lord).

"Alacitas", festivity of illusions and dreams, celebration of the miniature; the urban populations that have the belief that when acquiring an object in this fair it will accompany them the luck during the whole year, then they give loose rein to their imagination and their desires of being owners of what they never had and that with spending of the time, they will achieve it to obtain.

The market in Alasita is a tradition from long ago. There you can find all kinds of religions, pagans and superstitious elements. And a good dose of Illusion, too. This makes people buy all types of miniature things: houses, cars, passports, titles in the belief that Ekeko God will give them those things in normal size. Once they've been blessed by an Aymara wizard or a Catholic priest. This blessing should be before the half-day of May 3.

The legend behind the festival tells that many centuries ago, a man called Ekeko lived in the Andean Plateau; he was short, humble, and generous. His arrival at any village brought harmony and happiness.

The Alasitas are miniatures sold in Bolivian markets, especially in La Paz, beginning at January 24th. at Municipal Park.

U.S.A. ( the land...
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Market selling miniatures

EagleA- what a wonderfully detailed answer...thank you so very much. Unfortunately we will be in Puno only at the very end of May; do you think I could still get some miniatures and if so, could you please give me the names of places/markets and/or their addresses where I can buy them? The legend attached to the Alasitas is enchanting. We will be in Puno only one day so if you have a specific address or market name, I'd be delighted.

Thanks again, EagleA.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,394 posts
505 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Market selling miniatures

You will most probably find them at the Cusco market.

These miniatures are used mainly for making the offerings (pagos) by the shamans.

I agree with you, the above answer is realy nice and detailed.

U.S.A. ( the land...
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Market selling miniatures

Papi, but did the Alasitas originate in Puno and are they made in Puno?

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,394 posts
505 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Market selling miniatures

Hija, yo no se.

Puno
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Market selling miniatures

Really, it is totally different, I know the payment to the Pachamama and the offerings that make by the shamans.

Livinglife, if you want, which is your dream, I can rehearse to buy for you and to give you the day that you arrive to Puno.

U.S.A. ( the land...
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Market selling miniatures

Awww, that is awfully kind of you, EagleA, but don't bother. I'll try to pick some up if I can. It's just such an enchanting tradition, I think!

Thanks again for being so thoughtful.

8. Re: Market selling miniatures

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 pm, August 26, 2009