We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iquitos v Puerto Maldonado

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
54 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Iquitos v Puerto Maldonado

Going to Peru April 9th to the 23rd with family. Have not firmed up our schedule yet and the only thing I am sure of is that we want to do a hiking trek in Machu Picchu and Cusco region.

One of my brothers and I are debating whether or not we should visit Iquitos or Puerto Maldonado toward the end of our trip. My brother really wants to go fishing, we both like hiking and being active. My brother spoke to someone who has been to Puerto Maldonado and they more or less said there is nothing to do there. Iquitos looks like a really neat place to visit to me and I think I would like it so I am inclined to say lets make the trip to the north as it just looks like a much more vibrant place to visit with more to do.

The only objection I really have to Iquitos is the distance. Puerto Maldonado seems just so convenient that I am not prepared to say we should discard this choice as Iquitos will likely kill at least a day of traveling.

Has anyone been to both locations? Is Iquitos just so much better or, as with most things, does it depend on what you want to do? Any thoughts on the topic would be appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Cusco
Cusco
Cusco Region, Peru
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,903 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Iquitos v Puerto Maldonado

Jeff firstly you are facing the choice many people have made. I have not been to Iquitos so can't comment on that part even though you are wanting a comparison.

Firstly most people who visit Puerto Maldonado fly into the town and then immediately leave it and head to one of the lodges. They don't usually go there to visit the town. Are you wanting to visit one of these towns for the purpose of visiting another town or as a means of accessing the amazon rainforest?

Secondly as you say it is far more convenient to get to PM especially if you are going to Cusco. As a jumping point into the rainforest it is perfect. To hike you will really need to be at one of the lodges.

Good luck in making your choice.

Edited: 3:01 pm, December 15, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Cusco
Cusco
Cusco Region, Peru
Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
54 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Iquitos v Puerto Maldonado

Thanks for your thoughts. I think you are right that it is probably a common choice but it isn't one where I've seen a discussion.

I would like to spend a day in Iquitos if we go there as it looks like an interesting place. The local market looks interesting and perhaps we could hire a guide to take us there and then to a lodge. I think we likely go to a lodge regardless of which location we visit so that is a good argument for PM provided they are as interesting as the Iquitos lodges.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,903 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Iquitos v Puerto Maldonado

Jeff for me the decision came down to 2 things.

Firstly I think basically lodges are pretty much the same in both locations. There might be differences in the actual wildlife you see but I was very happy with Rainforest expeditions Refugio Amasonas.

Secondly Iquitos is on the Amazon proper while PM isn't. For some people this is important- for me not so.

I decided that if I went to Iquitos it would be to take a trip on a boat down the river but this idea soon flew out the door as I found the cost prohibitive.

4. Re: Iquitos v Puerto Maldonado

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, December 17, 2014