We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spiders?????

london
12 posts
Save Topic
Spiders?????

I was hoping for some reassurance but at least some advice would be greatly appreciated!

We have already booked flights to PM for the last leg of our Peru trip with a view to spending 3-4 days at a jungle lodge. However, I have a considerable fear of spiders and now reality is dawning and I’m not sure I can realistically go through with it. We’ve narrowed lodges down to those which have enclosed rooms and figured I’d refrain from the night-time walks. With those precautions in mind, how likely am I to encounter said wildlife?

jersey
Level Contributor
1,018 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Spiders?????

I know there are risks from parasites which can cause real harm while spiders arent really going to hurt me but its a phobia its not rational, unfortunately.

Please excuse me if i was rude. You will most likely find that a trip to the Jungle to be a lovely experience. You will most likely see a few spiders, but not that many. They are quite reclusive. Your lodge, guesthouse will likely have a mozzie net, and as long as you tuck it in correctly you will have no surprises.

Enjoy your trip.

Northwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,884 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Spiders?????

I thought I would comment on this thread. I have a fear of cockroaches, it came from my first holiday abroad at 18 to Fuerteventura and prevented me going abroad for 2 years! I have however successfully travelled abroad since to Australia, NZ, Kenya, Nepal and Europe. Key things such as reviewing accommodation (Tripadvisor is your friend) also helps and when I am looking for somewhere to stay I always type into a search engine the hotel/hostel/B&B name and 'cockroaches'. I have to say this seems to have worked as I've never seen any on any of my trips (not counting a dead one on the street in Perth)!

When we were looking into Peru, a trip to the Amazon was on our list but we could only have allowed a day and in the end decided that this wasn't enough. I also read some scary reviews about 'worlds largest cockroach'. I did however do some research in preparation for the trip and whilst I'm not keen on spiders, I don't have the same fear as you as I can rationalise any other bug by saying 'it's NOT a cockroach'. It may be interesting to know that (this only relates to cockroaches, but my apply to spiders and other bugs) that in the past I have taken eucalyptus oil and cotton wool and placed odd bits of cotton wool in the lodge where we have stayed as cockroaches don't like the smell. I also have a Yankee eucalyptus candle in a jar which, if it can be lit safely, I will light so the smell is quite strong. Tea tree also has the same effect on skin.

I've just looked on the internet and apparently spiders dislike tea tree, peppermint and citrus oil. I buy these from our local health shop, make sure they are the strong oil. Tea tree works fab for other skin related problems, such as bites as does lavender so I'd recommend it anyway, you can even bath/shower in it so they would be less likely to come near you as you will smell of the stuff too. These are things I've found work for me so hopefully they may help you.

I did try and overcome my fear by going to the local zoo and walking through the bat cave which has glass boxes of cockroaches at the end. It didn't work though as I could hear the little critters hissing and I ended up having to be guided through with my eyes closed! I preferred the bats . . . .

When I contacted some lodges, I explained about my fear and some of them said that they did spray and were unlikely to see any in the rooms (we were looking at Iquitos though). I try and not let my fear take over my life, but for me alot of it is in the research of where to stay.

23. Re: Spiders?????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, February 19, 2014