We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gear for the jungle questions

Which Puerto Maldonado hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
22 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Gear for the jungle questions

I have been doing alot of internet research regarding what type of shoes/boots and clothes are best for a trip to the jungle and still have questions. We are staying at the Refugio Amazonas ecolodge and I know that they provide rubber boots for the muddy trails. Are boots necessary or would trainers or similar shoes work for most hikes? I am concerned about bugs but is it really necessary to wear long pants and long sleeved tops, given that it will most likely be hot and humid? Thanks to any advice about this.

Toronto
Level Contributor
715 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gear for the jungle questions

We did the 5 night/6 day (2RA, 2TRC, 1 RA) tour in July of 2010. Although they provide rubber boots for the muddy trails you would rarely use them for the actual hikes through the jungle. Even well-fitted they tend to slip and be really heavy and chafe in the end. A good pair of hiking boots would be much better, but only if you think you would use them again at some point. We wore our hiking boots throughout Peru because of the cobbled streets and uneven stone in a lot of places, plus we hiked up to the Pisac ruins, etc.

As for the long pants and long-sleeve tops, again up to you, but I would highly recommend looking for a couple of quick-dry long-sleeve tops and at least one pair of quick-dry hiking/travel pants and wearing them. You'll actually feel cooler because the fabric will wick away the sweat *and* once you see all the bugs and get told about the leaves/branches/bark you shouldn't touch, you'll be thrilled to have something between you and all of that.

That said, it's absolutely fantastic, you'll have an amazing time and although there are *tons* of bugs, they're too busy doing their own thing really to bother you.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
22 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gear for the jungle questions

Thank you for the information!

Roseburg, Oregon
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Gear for the jungle questions

I want to travel to Puerto Maldonado, Peru mid to late jan. 2013. What is the Weather like? I have rosacea and heat causes my face and neck turn red. (called flushing). I do just fine in 70-80 temps, above 80's, sometimes creates problem. Please respond asap. Tahnk you, James

Edited: 9:15 pm, December 13, 2012
Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,290 posts
501 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gear for the jungle questions

Most likely the temperatures will be on the mid 80s to mid 90s or even higher, remember its summer time in this hemisphere.

Wearing long sleeve pants and shirts help a lot with the mosquitoes.

Hiking boots are fine.

Andover...
Level Contributor
75 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gear for the jungle questions

I went to the nearby Manu Reserve in October and though it was hot and muggy we all wore long pants and long sleeves whenever we were outside because of the bugs. (As mentioned above, you also don't want to brush against some poisonous or thorny plant.) Also, we wore hiking boots or trail shoes with heavy socks because in addition to flying bugs, you have to worry about biting ants. I took water shoes but never used them. When walking through the woods, we always tucked our pants into our socks. (Despite that, one member of our group got a very painful bite from a bullet ant.) As for rosacea, be aware that it is so humid that the heat feels more intense because you get less evaporative cooling from your abundant sweat. Perhaps you could carry a folding fan, like people used to do before AC, to cool off your face (and also keep the bugs away).

Ventura, California
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Gear for the jungle questions

Hi, curious how much you paid for your jungle tour and who/site you booked with. Thank you!! I'll be flying to Pto Maldonado June 20th.

Ventura, California
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Gear for the jungle questions

Hi Xochitl, I see you're from Peru. Any idea who/website has the best/best priced jungle tours in the tambopata area? Thanks any info is appreciated. I 'll be there June 20th

8. Re: Gear for the jungle questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, March 14, 2014