We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wandering Spiders at Posada Amazonas??

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
57 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Wandering Spiders at Posada Amazonas??

Hi,

I've narrowed down my search for accommodation in the Amazon to either Inkaterra (a bit expensive) and Posada Amazonas. We only have 2 nights in this region so the fact that both these lodges are easily accessible from Puerto Maldonado is a big plus.

However, I came across a review which has freaked me out a bit, i've copied and pasted the worst part here:

"SPIDERS

In case you didn't know this lodge is set among the home of the Brazilian wandering spider. This spider is rated as one of most deadliest in the world. Your room is open and exposed to the jungle and it's critters. So after returning from the lodge and unpacking my bag I put my hand in my bag and lucky at the last minute I see a big spider and back away. I call over the guide who becomes very nervous about the spider and gets it out very carefully and tells us to stay away. He then tells me it was one of these wandering spiders. Not once at any stage of our stay or tour were we warned about this spider or checking our bags or rooms etc. Unacceptable and very dangerous.

After a bit of research I found out if this spider bit me I probably would be dead given the remote location and lack of medical facilities. Not a nice feeling at all."

Does anyone know any other info about this and how safe it is to travel in the area? we would love to experience the amazon, but definitely want more of a 'tourist" than "adventurer" experience...sorry if i sound like a scaredy-cat but i've never been good with the creepy crawlies...

Mentioned in this post
Posada Amazonas
Posada Amazonas
925 Reviews
Tambopata National Reserve, Peru
Puerto Maldonado
Puerto Maldonado
Madre de Dios Region, Peru
Posada Amazonas
Posada Amazonas
#2 of 21 Specialty lodging in Tambopata National Reserve
Refugio Amazonas
Refugio Amazonas
#2 of 77 Specialty lodging in Puerto Maldonado
Inkaterra Hacienda Concepcion
Inkaterra Hacienda Concepcion
#1 of 77 Specialty lodging in Puerto Maldonado
Batemans Bay...
Level Contributor
152 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wandering Spiders at Posada Amazonas??

We did see a tarantula out in the open while staying at the Posda Amazonas in September, but I would not let this put you off. You would probably have and see more spiders and creepy crawlies around your home here in Australia than what you are likely to encounter in the jungle lodge.

No need to be a scardey-cat. Just go. You will be fine.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,898 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wandering Spiders at Posada Amazonas??

A little research would reveal that these spiders live over quite a large area of South America, not just this one lodge! That traveler has got to be an American, who has to be warned of every little danger he might face in the world. He's probably looking for a way to sue the lodge for causing stress and psychological harm.

P.S. I'm an American, too.

3. Re: Wandering Spiders at Posada Amazonas??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, December 21, 2012