We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DEET & Clothing

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
712 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
DEET & Clothing

From what I have read DEET damages clothes with polyester and other synthetic fabrics. But for traveling these clothes are more practical because they dry quickly (esp for the amazon portion of the trip).

Are there tips on how you avoid damaging clothes but still get the full DEET protection?

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: DEET & Clothing

You can use Permethrin spray on your clothing and then Deet on just your exposed skin.

Sawyer is a Permethrin brand that is sold at REI, It lasts thru several washings. Seemed to help for me.

Also I found that the mosquito head net, although you look like a dork, was really helpful, when hiking I preferred it to a hat since it was cooler. I bought one online for a few dollars from Walmart.

Bring some anti itch med for the occasional bite that will slip thru the defenses!

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
524 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: DEET & Clothing

I agree about the mozzie head net that although you will look strange it will prevent and bites.

My friends took pictures of me with the hat and put it on Face book, but it protected me so I had the last laugh.

San Diego
Level Contributor
73 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: DEET & Clothing

Better dorky looking than bitten. There really aren't any good alternatives for protecting your face/ears - I sure wouldn't put deet on my face and there are specific warnings about putting it on your ears (I think absorption is higher on your ear lobes). Eucalyptus/lemon oil seems to work but it is so oily and you have to reapply every few hours.

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
714 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: DEET & Clothing

I would use the permethrin on your clothes, as stated above. We did our own clothes - it's easy.

DEET can dissolve your watch, watch band, watch "crystal" - etc.

www.woodsmall.com/insect-repellents.htm#TIPS

I would agree with you about not using DEET on your face, but I have safely and effectively used RID on my face.

RID TROPICAL STRENGTH INSECT REPELLENT CONTAINS: 19.5% DEET plus two additional repellents, including a FLY repellent, Antiseptic to kill a wide range of bacteria, Vitamin E for moisturizing, Chamomile for its soothing relief, and Triclosan (an anti-bacterial/ inflammatory agent).

It was great for Africa

5. Re: DEET & Clothing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 pm, October 07, 2012