We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Transportation between Madang and Goroka

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Road Transportation between Madang and Goroka

Hello--,

We are a party of two in need of one way road transportation from Madang to Goroka early morning of Monday, June 27th. We are hoping to get to Goroka early enough to continue on a tour to see the Mudmen at Asaro the same day. Does anyone know/recommend a private car company for hire in the Madang area? We understand a PMV takes anywhere from 6-7 hours which is too long for our brief stay. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Nairobi

2 replies to this topic
1. Re: Road Transportation between Madang and Goroka

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:05 pm, February 10, 2013

Woodford, Australia
Level Contributor
236 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road Transportation between Madang and Goroka

Hi, sorry about the slow response - been offline in Kimbe last week

I doubt it would be realistic to travel by road from Madang to Goroka in the time frame you suggest and then go on and do a tour. Changing your plans might be an option for you; its certainly a spectacular trip, or organising an inclusive itinerary for the whole lot..

Your 6 hour estimate for a PMV seems about on the money for travelling time - not sure whether you can get a PMV straight through, although I think you would. If you have to change you need to factor that in.

AFAIK One way car hire in PNG does not exist. I would also not travel in a solo vehicle into the Highlands unless you have a National with you. In any case you would still be travelling for a few hours.

The best and safest option is flying, airlines PNG - http://www.apng.com/index.asp?pgid=1 - have connecting flights MAG-LAE-GKA and their website came up with this itinerary for PGK364 (about USD160). These flights are available every day but Sunday. You can even book online.

CG1601 MAG 06:15 LAE 06:50 CG1410 07:40 GKA 08:10

Check with your embassy before travelling to Asaro as I saw media reports of problems in that area a while back: not sure what the situation is now. You'll find them here - http://portmoresby.usembassy.gov/

Cheers skip

Mentioned in this post
Lae
Lae
Momase Region, Papua New Guinea
Reply to: Road Transportation between Madang and Goroka
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Madang