We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time of year?

Which Lae hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Best time of year?

What is the best time of year to visit Lae,? ie; neither too hot or too humid or too wet!

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
496 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time of year?

G'Day hrhill,

It's going to be pretty constantly hot compared to Melbourne all year round.

I know you guys get the odd 40c down there but yours is a dry heat, usually followed by a cool change within a few days (or few hours) max.

Mid year, June/July will be marginally cooler in Lae, compared with the rest of the year...and certainly not as wet.

Remembering its proximity to the equator, winter in Lae is not going to be a time to throw on the cardy, but it should be kinder to you...by a couple of degrees anyway.

You going for a holiday..?

Cheers,

Rick

Cairns & PNG

Woodford, Australia
Level Contributor
235 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time of year?

Hi all

Reliable climate information for PNG is hard to come by. A lot of web sites confuse the climate for Port Moresby with that for all of PNG.

The only online climate data I've ever found for PNG locations is from the World Meterological Organisation (the UN weather agency). Here is their climate page for Lae...

http://www.worldweather.org/077/c01429.htm

[This is something of an oversimplification but] While the climate is tropical - seasonally dry - on the PNG south coast (incl Port Moresby) it gets progressively more equatorial - with rainfall more evenly distributed - as you get further north.

Lae and many other places are affected by two monsoons - the Northwest monsoon from December to March (which also affects Northern Australia) and the Southeast monsoon which runs from about May to October. Lae is the wettest major city in PNG, and while somewhat sheltered from Northwest Monsoon rains it receives the full southeast monsoon. June to August are, on average, the wettest months of the year. The variation in apparent temperature is negligible.

Cheers skip

London
Level Contributor
15 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time of year?

Hi,

I grew up in lae (live in London now) and it is hot and humid all the time so you're never going to get a time when its not hot and humid. Usually hotter and less rain in December/January and rains more middle of the year but in the tropics you can get a big thunder storm at anytime of year and it'll be at close to 100% humidity all year round in Lae. Stay somewhere with air-conditioning (its a god-send at night when you're going to sleep)! I agree with post above about reliable climate information. Basically whenever I look it up it says its raining even if when I talk to my family they are saying they've had a bit of a dry spell so I wouldn't trust the weather forecasts on the internet. Hope that helps you and you have a great visit to Lae!

4. Re: Best time of year?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, August 24, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Lae