We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Banned?? Is this true??

michigan
Level Contributor
12 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Banned?? Is this true??

I just read that the San Blas Islands are now banned for sailing?? Anyone caught will be fined. Is this true? We are planning a trip in November and have already made a deposit on a boat...

21. Re: Banned?? Is this true??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:05 am, May 03, 2013
22. Re: Banned?? Is this true??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:05 am, May 03, 2013
Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
23. Re: Banned?? Is this true??

Thank you Tripadvisor for moderating in a mature and clear manner. That is what makes this site such a useful resource to so many many people. There is no place for personal affront on a forum like this, where we are all trying to provide helpful truth for travellers, and an overall balanced view.

Guna Yala Panama
2 posts
Save Reply
24. Re: Banned?? Is this true??

About a month ago the Guna Congreso wrote two letters, addressed and delivered to about 50 yachts who charter in Guna Yala (San Blas), advising them that they have been fined $20,000 and have 15 days to pay or they must leave Guna Yala territorial waters. They must also immediately cease their charter operations. Of the yachts that I know, and I have been in Guna Yala for 7 years on my yacht, they have all chosen to leave.

I have a copy of the one of the letters, which is in Spanish, but cannot attach here. Following is the letter in Spanish, and a rough translation done on a translation program following. It was prepared by one of the yachts that was fined so typos are not from me!

> El presente memorandum es con fin de informarles a los ciudadanos extranjeros del mar que se

encuentran en nuestro mar territorial de la Comarca Guna Yala, sobre las signitures decisiones del

Consejo Ejectivo del Congresso General en relacion a la actividad turistica nautica.

> En los primeros meses del presente ano durante las giras de control y cobros a los yates/veleros se han

observado a dichos naves de placer en seguir insistiendo con la actividad turistica nautic y sus diversas

recreaciones enel mar: windsurfer, kite surf, esqui acuatico, buceo con equipo snorkel para observacion de

fauna y flora marina y pesca son arpon entre otras actividades de entreteniminento para sus

visitantes/touristias a bordo de sus yachtie/velleros, sin consentimiento previo del Puevlo Guna y de esta

forma seguir violando las normas y regulaciones de la Nacion Guna internas de la Nacion Guna,

consideramos que es nuestro, el tiempo y el espacio de tomar dictamenes intransigentes frente a este

problematica de muchos anos, en que cadad vez nos sentimos amenazados por la nueva moderna de

piratas/corsarios del siglo XXI de los yates/veleros que siguen ambicionando y despojandonos de nir

duestros recursos marinos turisticios ambientales e historicious de nuestra Nacion Guna.

>

> En este sentido, nuestra sentencia es imponer una multa de VEINTE MIL DOLARES (20,000) y

suspender toda actividad vinculado con el negocio de turismo a partir de recibo esta nota hasta quince

dias habiles para pagar la sancion/multa impuesta, si no se respeta nuestra decision, usted y su

yate/velero debe abandonar el mar territorial de nuestra comarca Guna Yala sin mayores consecuencias o

havbra otras decisiones mucho mas drasticas en, honor a nuestros ancestros y al rechazo a la celebracion

del V centenario a la invasion del des cuvrimiento del mar del sur.

> Nuestra me dida es extensiva a todos los capitanes y sus naves que explotan nuestros recursos

naturales turisticos marinos de manera ilegal el negocio de turismo en nuestra Comarca Guna Yala. Sin

otro asunto que agregar, nos, despedimos deseandoles mejores exitos en su otra residencia maritima. De

usted

> This memorandum is to inform to the sea fairing foreign nationals who are

> in our territorial sea of the Comarca Kuna Yala, on Council decisions and

> signatures of the Executive Council of the General Congress in relation to

> nautical tourism.

>

> In the first months of this year during our tour of control and charges to

> yachts / sailboats, said pleasure tourist boats have been observed and they

> continue to insist on tourism and its various nautical recreations in the

> sea, such as windsurfing, kite surfing, water skiing, scuba diving

> snorkeling, to observe marine life and spear fishing which are among other

> activities for visitors / tourists aboard their yachts, without prior

> consent of Puevlo Guna (the Kuna representative) and thus continue to

> violate the rules and regulations of the Guna Nation and internal Guna

> Nation policies, we consider it our time and space to take uncompromising

> JUDGEMENTS to address this problem that has existed for many years, in

> which each time we feel more and more threatened by the new modern pirates

> / corsairs of the XXI century yachts / sailboats that are still coveting

> and casting off of our environmental, touristic and marine resources of our

> historical Guna Nation

> In this sense, our sentence is a fine of twenty thousand dollars ($20,000)

> and to suspend all activities linked to the tourism business from the time

> of receiving this notice and you have until fifteen working days to pay the

> penalty / fine imposed, if you disregard our decision, you and your yacht /

> sailboat must leave the territorial waters of our region Guna Yala without

> consequences or otherwise there will be much more drastic decisions to

> take, in order to honor our ancestors and the rejection of the 5th

> Centenary of the invasion of the discovery of the south Sea.

>

> Our measure is extended to all the captains and their ships that exploit

> our natural resources illegally through marine tourism business in our

> region Guna Yala. Having nothing more to add, we wish you better success in

> your other maritime residence.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
25. Re: Banned?? Is this true??

Many thanks, Allen, for taking the time to prepare and post up this detail.

Guna Yala Panama
2 posts
Save Reply
26. Re: Banned?? Is this true??

I would like to clarify my recent post #24 as "RE: Banned?? Is this true?" does not properly describe the situation in Guna Yala and is misleading.

Following is what I understand from what I have heard:

Chartering is not banned. The Congreso letters were addressed to about 50 specific yachts of foreign registration that were chartering without permission, and possibly a warning to other foreign yachts who are chartering or are considering chartering. There MAY BE yachts of Panamanian registration, yachts that have Guna Captains and/or crews or other yachts chartering that have permission from the Guna Congreso to do. You will have to do your investigation on this if you want to charter and avoid any hassles.

The Gunas HAVE banned, without permission, certain activities that are described by being activities in which the Gunas do not participate:

"such as windsurfing, kite surfing, water skiing, scuba diving". I have never heard of anyone being reprimanded for snorkeling or spearfishing. Possibly this is only being directed to the people on boats that were named.

These decisions were made at the "Top" by the Congreso and many Gunas and Panamanians have lost a source of income. The Jeep owners who bring charterers to Carti, the launcha drivers who bring the charterers to/from their boats, the woman selling molas, the men selling freshly caught seafood and owners of the small restaurants scattered about to name the ones that come to mind.

Hopefully this situation will be resolved soon so that travelers can enjoy these beautiful islands and people on charter boats!

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
27. Re: Banned?? Is this true??

I agree Allen. What you say is my understanding too. (and the situation has 'solidified' over some years now, as i have been here). Guna Captains -yes to the yacht if it has a Guna captain - they want to be part of the business or employed. Panama Registered vessels, yes, although not many around. (that are larger yachts). But foreign registered yachts are not allowed.

As regards snorkeling and spearfishing - correct again - both are okay, only using scuba tanks for fishing is not allowed.

LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Banned?? Is this true??

Amen !!

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
29. Re: Banned?? Is this true??

Yachts with Kuna captains only. That leaves about three YACHTS which are actually available.

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
999 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Banned?? Is this true??

The World ARC is scheduled to stop in the San Blas Islands, as they always do, will this ruling affect them also