We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can elderly get around?

Ajax
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Can elderly get around?

I'm taking my 93 year old dad to DeCameron Panama in February. He's not good at a lot of steps. If we stay oceanside, is there a pool, restaurant and show nearby without doing a lot of steps, alternatively, does the golf cart service go absolutely everywhere on the resort, even if you have to wait?

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
841 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can elderly get around?

Decameron has a free golf kart-alike vans that take people around the resort, but it's usually full. However, if the driver sees an elderly person is waiting he may probably try to get her a seat.

The resort is very, very big and there are a lot of stairs but if you get a room down the cliff you won't miss the fun. For example, if you ask for a ground floor room in block 31 or 32, you'll be about 50 - 100 metres from the buffet restaurant Pacifiko (in which you can have breakfast, lunch and dinner), one of the biggest swimming pools, Kon Tiki restaurant (bar and snacks during the day, a la carte restaurant at night) and also the beach.

London, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Can elderly get around?

Here is an update on the transportation system at RD. They have now added several airconditioned Toyota minivans that travel from the ocean side complexes to the clifftop garden complexes and the three Lobbies. The golf carts still run as well . There is no problem with the elderly really. I saw a lot of couples in their 80's walking around. If you stay oceanside, there are sufficient pools, loungers, restaurants, cafes, and bars that you do not need to go up to the top of the cliff or climb any stairs at all unless you don't have ground floor rooms (there are no elevators in the buldings). The show area is at the bottom of the stairs leading down from Lobby 1 as well. The only reason I could see to go to the lobbies was to buy tours, book a la carte restaurants, and use the internet kiosks. There are I believe 4 different sets of stairs leading from oceanside to garden view, but if you think about it, the buses have to get down the cliff,as do the restaurant supply vans, and the luggage collector vans. So I found it much easier walking up the two roads than climbing the stairs. The easiest road to use runs from behind the Atlantis up to Lobby 2.

Welland, ON
Level Contributor
88 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can elderly get around?

There is one pool on the upper level, at the Japanese restaurant.

I believe the carts (shuttles) only transfer people around the upper level of the resort. The vans do transport down to the beach level & back. Some patience will be required, but they do run quite regularly.

London, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Can elderly get around?

Actually there are two pools on the upper level now. An additional adult pool with swim up bar is located directly behind the Pacifico Restaurant at the top of the stairs leading up from the very end of the resort. The 'golf carts do tend to remain on the upper level. but they will go down to ocean side of you ask them to. The minivans always seemed to be running and forcing us to step onto the gravel shoulders.

5. Re: Can elderly get around?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:19 pm, August 26, 2009