We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaria Pills - What are the current risks?

Vernon, BC
Level Contributor
125 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Malaria Pills - What are the current risks?

Curious how many people do plan to take Malaria pills while on holiday in Panama? Are there any of you that were recently there and chose not to take anything?

I will be staying at the RDC, I was planning to do the Carls Jungle Adventure excursion but not sure I plan to do any others, really looking to just rest this holiday. If I pack a light nylon pair of pants and a light long sleeved shirt and use deet spray would this be enough to protect me given it is the dry season? I am very drug sensitive and would not want to find out while on holidays that the pills are not agreeing with me.

Cheers

Cheryl

LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malaria Pills - What are the current risks?

YES, that will be enuf to protect you from the mossies, chloe. There are many side effects from the medications, I wouldn't take them for sure.....

- enjoy your vaca - use the precautions you mentioned.

While at the beach at Farallon, use an oil based repellent for the pesky lil' no see ums - especially at early AM and dusk. But I let my guard down recently

mid day at a restaurant near a big gulley and never noticed I was being bit

and here I am a month later, still itching the over 150 (I am not kidding) bites from those little buggers. I have even turned down many invites from friends here for dinner since then cause I knew we would be eating outside and didn't want to take any chances. I am so allergic to those bites.......

If the biters love you (and you know if they do), use precautions.....My husband with me at the same restaurant didn't get ONE bite.

They don't love him, lol.

toronto
Level Contributor
351 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malaria Pills - What are the current risks?

I took the maleria pills both times going to the dominican. i felt ill the whole week from the side effects of them. i'm not taking them this time as i want to have a good time and be able to eat. as i have read there are many side effects from them. hopefully we will all be fine. i hear they spray fog for them at the resort. a friend of mine went in January and never got bit once.

but maybe he dosn't have sweet blood. some people are just susceptible to bites. i have a friend like that, no one else gets bit but her. That totally sucks!

3. Re: Malaria Pills - What are the current risks?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 7:35 am, February 27, 2012
Peterborough, Canada
Level Contributor
200 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Malaria Pills - What are the current risks?

They fog really well at RDC. You don't want to be around when they do, but they do a great job of it. Never so much as saw a bug last year. My wife welts up and the bugs just love her,( kinda like LN, it seems)...she never got a single bite from anything...not in the room, not in the resort, not on the beach. If you're not going into the Darien, you should be OK.

That said, we ARE bringing the thicker formulation of Afterbite, just in case. LOVE that stuff...it stinks, but it's great.

Can't believe I'm talking about bug bites...in MARCH! can't wait to get my feet in the sand.

Hey... I wonder how Ron made out...hope he posts before we go...

PS: LN, cheryl mentioned bringing basic pharma supplies for the people in an earlier thread...who would we give that to and would it be appreciated? I love to give out "Canadiana" trinkets like flag pins, etc...but if they have a more pressing need, I'd rather do that. Any input? Thanks

LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Malaria Pills - What are the current risks?

Okay, for helping out here in Panama:

Here is the website of expats who formed a foundation providing basic tools and enrichment for education in Panama, donating their time, supplies to a school in mainly the Cocle Province:

http://educacionprimero.org/index.html

EDUCACIONPRIMERO started back in 2003 when some neighborhood children asked Dennis and Sheila owners of XS Sports Bar and Restaurant in Santa Clara if they had some spare plumbing parts or anything to help them create a bathroom at their school. At the time there was none. Yes, a school without a bathroom.

A group was formed and visited the school. All were taken aback by the site. Not only was there no bathroom, there was no running water and no electricity as well.

Then there were even more schools and more children that needed their help. They expanded their efforts to include three more schools. These children need your help in so many ways.

Please check out the website - it is amazing the condition of the schools ! Help badly needed . Look at the top of the page where it says: You can help. Anything you want to donate will be accepted. Please contact them and they will arrange to come to your resort to pick up any all donations. Hope this helps.

Thank you so much for thinking of this.

Edited: 2:05 pm, February 22, 2012
LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Malaria Pills - What are the current risks?

@ steelcityhammer............Yes, that is what they were - you can't see the little buggers...I call them "no-see-ums", but they are also called sand fleas and chitres here. Don't let your guard down if they love you!

7. Re: Malaria Pills - What are the current risks?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 pm, June 17, 2013