We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental in Playa Blanca resort, Panama

Ontario
1 post
Save Topic
Car rental in Playa Blanca resort, Panama

Is there a car rental in Smile at Playa Blanca resort near Fallaron , Panama

LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental in Playa Blanca resort, Panama

There is one at Decameron -short taxi drive away. I don't know about Playa Blanca, sorry.

Niagara Falls...
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental in Playa Blanca resort, Panama

Hi LN; I think I spoke to you earlier in the year. As my time is getting close to arriving in Panama, I am getting a little anxious. Is the drive from Panama City airport to the Country Club in Coronado easy or should we cab it? If we take a cab, what should we expect to pay? You seem to have a handle on this. Is it safe for us to drive?

Thanks

Atlanta, Georgia...
Destination Expert
for Colon, Isla Grande, Portobelo
Level Contributor
4,549 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental in Playa Blanca resort, Panama

Taking a cab from Tocumen will be very expensive -- well over $100. If you don't want to drive, you might look into RoadRunner or other options.

If you're going to be spending time around Coronado, having a car is actually a good idea. Driving from Tocumen is not that difficult once you get through the city -- and as long as you're not driving at night.

Take Corredor Sur to Panama. You'll have two toll booths on the way. One is a dollar the other is $1.25. Stay on Corredor Sur into the city. It will put you onto Cinta Costera, running along the bay. Follow the signs to Avenida de los Martires and Puente de las Americas (Bridge of the Americas).

After crossing Puente de las Americas and going through the old Canal Zone you'll come to one tricky Y in the road. And, it comes up all of a sudden. The sign will show Camino Panamericano (Panamerican Highway) and La Chorrera to the right. To the left is Autopista and Arraijan. Go left -- do not go right, it takes you off the Autopista and into La Chorrera. You'll have a devil of time trying to get back on the road, again.

You'll see road and mileage signs to Coronado and various other communities on your way.

As you come into Coronado, you'll see a shopping center and a big El Rey sign on your left. Take the street going between the El Rey and the Super 99 shopping center. That road will take you directly to the guard shack of Coronado.

I assume when you say you'll be staying at the Country Club that you mean the Coronado Golf and Beach Resort. The guard at the gate will probably give you directions. Go past the equestrian center on your left. When you see a little grocery store on your left, take the street to the left just before it. If I remember correctly, it's the fourth street on your left and about a mile or so from the security gate. The hotel will be down the road about a half mile and on your left.

Be sure to read the other threads about renting cars -- particularly, about the inspections and insurance.

Atlanta, Georgia...
Destination Expert
for Colon, Isla Grande, Portobelo
Level Contributor
4,549 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental in Playa Blanca resort, Panama

Whoops. My mistake about Coronado Country Club and Coronado Beach and Golf Resort. They are not the same. In any case, it is helpful to have a car in that area.

LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental in Playa Blanca resort, Panama

Hey Rockin! Thanks for asking me about Coronado....The real info about the places you may be staying:

There is the Coronado Golf and Beach Club - one place

Coronado Country Club is another

AND the most recent (newly completed) is Coronado Country club. Let me know which one it is and I can help you with info about the units and directions.

Also, the going rate without a prior pick up arranged could be as high as $150.

(I know some who have paid that) Probably because taxi's at the airport will know you are stuck and can take advantage; plus it is a heck of a drive to Coronado from there. Perhaps you can check out http://panamaroadrunner.com/ I think he charges $100. for this, but his website has prices.

You can get taxis within Coronado (not easy, however). There is public transportation for practically cents if you don't mind riding with the local workers. No matter which club you are staying at, it will be a long long

hike to any stores, etc.

Is it safe for you to drive? I would not suggest at night if that is when you are arriving, not because I think you are in danger............but because if you get lost, have a problem, it is dark and if you don't speak Spanish, you will not

be able to find your way back perhaps. Also, there may be livestock on the

highway - unable to see it in the dark. Happens all the time.

Rental car will be double whatever you are quoted on line for insurances, etc.

Let me know as I can help you with new restaurants in the area - a couple of new ones and more Coronado info as I live there. There are also two big supermarkets and a brand new one (sometimes things like produce can be cheaper there), decent wines, etc. across the highway from the Rey and Super 99 in the new Villages shopping complex.

Before you get the entrance of Coronado look right --you will see a Don Lee's restaurant and a KFC (not like the one in Ameriker, however...) and just up ahead you will see the overpass that clearly shows Coronado's entrance and of course, you will see Mickey D's as you enter the road into Coronado..

Edited: 10:28 am, December 17, 2011
6. Re: Car rental in Playa Blanca resort, Panama

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, December 27, 2012