We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Playa Blanca in January

Toronto
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Playa Blanca in January

Hello Panamanian experts. First post in this forum (so be gentle).

My wife and I are looking to travel to Panama with another couple in January. Having never been to this narrow stretch of the world we have a few questions. Hoping someone here can provide a few answers. Here I go:

1. We've found a good price for the Playa Blanca, but we're trying to figure out if it's the tye of place we want to stay. Sure there's all the usual all-inclusive stuff, but my wife and I are snorkeling fiends. We like to get off the resort, under the water and into the wonderful world of fish. Is there snorkeling off the beach? Is January a good time to go for snorkeling? Is this part of Panama good for snorkelling.

2. Personally, I've never been to a pacific beach. I know it's different than Varadero and the Mayan Riviera, but is it still fun? You walk out on those beaches and you're immediately in your 'happy place'. Can the same be said for the beach at the Playa Blanca?

3. January - is it warm? Rainy (I'm not talking 10 minute tropical showers)? Bug infested?

4. What is there to do, see or experience in this part of Panama? Rainforests, towns - excursions? I'm a big monkey fan too, so I'd love to know if there are any around.

5. Finally, a question for my fellow Canadians out there. Anyone know what the flying time to Panama is from the frigid city of Toronto?

That's it for now (although I'll undoubtedly come up with more as the days go by). Thanks to anyone who can answer.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,701 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Playa Blanca in January

snowblind, i can help answer a couple of your questions, since we visited Playa Blanca for one week in early January 2004.

The temperature was warm, with daily highs in the low 30s Celsius. The weather was excellent, with mainly sunny skies. The only time we had rain was on one day when it sprinkled lightly twice, for only a few minutes each time, before clearing up again. We encountered very few insects; in fact, the only time we saw mosquitos was when we took an excursion to the rainforest in Valle de Anton (and even then there weren't a lot of bugs).

We found Playa Blanca to be a very quiet region of Panama. The beach is vast, and several days we took very long walks (we're talking about walking down the beach for two to three hours), encountering only a handful of people the entire time. It was incredibly peaceful and relaxing. The goal for our vacation was to get a lot of rest and relaxation, and that's exactly what Playa Blanca delivered.

We took a half-day excursion to Valle de Anton, which gave us a brief but enjoyable visit to mountainous rainforest areas and also to a botanical garden and zoo where we got to see several species of monkeys, owls and a variety of other creatures. There are some towns nearby, but other travellers who had rented cars or who took local buses to those towns said there wasn't really much to see.

Panama City is approximately two hours away by car/bus, and travellers who either rented cars to drive there, or who took excursions to see the city or the canal, all enjoyed their excursions and recommended taking trips into the city. (The flight from Toronto, by the way, is approximately 5 hours).

I'm afraid I can't answer your snorkeling questions, as I don't snorkel and I can't recall seeing anyone snorkeling near our resort. One of the problems with the beach at Playa Blanca is jellyfish; in fact, we did not get into the water even to swim because there were so many jellyfish during our visit.

I have posted a few dozen photographs of our Playa Blanca trip on an online website which you are welcome to visit anytime. The address for the website is:

http://community.webshots.com/user/donnyb1507

The Panama photographs are located in several albums towards the bottom of the list of albums.

Let me know if you have further questions; I'd be happy to provide more information.

Ontario
Level Contributor
297 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Playa Blanca in January

Hi there,

We head to Playa Blanca 21st of November. Our third trip to Panama and second time staying at this resort. We got a terrific sell off. We enjoy the resort and I agree with everything the previous post said in answering your questions.

You will not find the snorkeling any good at the resort. We were there in March and lots of jelly fish. Our son surfed everyday and the water is not the crystal clear of the Carribean. So if snorkeling is of high priority you may be disappointed in the location.

canada
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Playa Blanca in January

please someone write update

on the resort of playa blanca

thanks