We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

looking to do the same trip from Panama City to Bocas

Which Contadora Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
13 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
looking to do the same trip from Panama City to Bocas

we are looking to rent a car in Panama City and drive to Bocas but leave the car in Almirante....will the car be safe and what are the roads like now as the last posting was in 2009 when the roads were a little dodgy.

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
321 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: looking to do the same trip from Panama City to Bocas

You will find places to literally lock the car up behind gates in Almirante. You will want to do this. Do not leave the car on the streets, pay the $5 a day fee they will charge. We had no problems locking up the car in their yard.

I hope you are stopping along the way. The ride to David is 6 hours and then Bocas is another 3-4 hours past that. That's a long day.

For the most parts the roads are fine. There are a few spots where if you are traveling at a high rate of speed you could be airborne since the road dips and rises. The scenery is spectacular though. You will find places that you will want to stop along the way to take pictures. There is a nice turnoff near the dam where you can take pictures.

Level Contributor
13 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: looking to do the same trip from Panama City to Bocas

Thanks for the update....i also heard the last ferry to Bocas is 6:30 pm - if that's the case, it maybe wise to stop somewhere overnight along the way?

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
321 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: looking to do the same trip from Panama City to Bocas

If possible you want to do the ferry as early in the day as possible. I mean before 9:00am. The seas get pretty rough the closer you get to noon, so I just wanted to mention that. Yes, stop along the way. David would be a good stop. Then you can get up early the next day and leave for Almirante. If you don't want to go that far in one day (but I would suggest it) you can look at Santiago. Just a suggestion about the ferry. We took it at noon our first time over and I thought my skeleton was going to come out of my body we were hitting the waves so hard. The ride back we left before 8:00am and talk about smooth sailing. I learned my lesson! :) Have fun.

4. Re: looking to do the same trip from Panama City to Bocas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, October 25, 2013