We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

fuel surcharge

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
19 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
fuel surcharge

Is the fuel surcharge to fly to and from Contadora a new thing? I looked into making reservations but did not actually book a month ago? It looks quite expensive. Is the ferry operating? What is the cost and how long does it take?

Panama City, Panama
Destination Expert
for Panama
Level Contributor
1,969 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: fuel surcharge

There is a fuel surcharge, mandated and controlled by the government, on all domestic flights - it changes every month or two depending on the global price of oil. This has been in effect for at least 3 years now.

Cheers,

Andrew

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
19 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: fuel surcharge

Looks like it is $15 per ticket each way to fly to Contadora. With the luggage weight limitation, I am wandering if the ferry is looking better as an alternative. Any information on how to find out about the ferry would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Panama City, Panama
Destination Expert
for Panama
Level Contributor
1,969 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: fuel surcharge

Looks like $105.50 return per person - this also includes a new airport usage fee that the Civil Aviation Authority imposed as of Jan 1 of $3/flight - so $6 of this fare is that new tax.

My last flight to Seattle was under $700 until all the taxes where added on and the final bill was $1300 - so you can't really look at any airline fare until you see all the taxes added in.

I haven't heard much about the Contadora ferry lately - will see if I can find anything out about it.

Cheers,

Andrew

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
19 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: fuel surcharge

I truely appreciate your help. Delta Airlines went up today on their luggage fees here in the states. Guess it must be tough in that industry. If you hear anything on the ferry keep me posted. Thanks, Linda

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: fuel surcharge

I decide to go for the first time with ferry to Contadora and I can tell that I don't know how this people National tours in Balboa Marina get permission to operate all the way to Contadora with those light speed boats, I can tell you that only thing which I was hearing on our way back was preys of people to come back home in one piece.

From Panama to Contadora was ok, few times we jump outside from water but on our way back it was critical, VERY!!

Don't have a doubts of Contadora , its a paradise. Pick up also a boat trip there to see other small Islands, Mogo Mogo,Survivor Island etc.

Pearl Island are truly paradise.

All the best,

Alek

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
19 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: fuel surcharge

I get what you are saying. I will probably go ahead and fly. I am very excited about my first trip to Panama. Contadora looks great. I appreciate your response.

7. Re: fuel surcharge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, July 14, 2010