We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tourist cards & tax on flights to contadora from pc?

Which Contadora Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
chicago, usa
3 posts
Save Topic
tourist cards & tax on flights to contadora from pc?

might as well get all my questions out at once.

first off, where can i get my tourist card in the us? i don't want to get there and wait, and everybody i talk to at the airline seems clueless about it.

2nd, i just went to book a flight from pc to contadora and was surprised to find a " Impuesto de combustible" on the final bill. this tax is actually more than the subtotal, doubling the full price, so im wondering if thats the norm or if there's a way around it. perhaps its just because of booking online?

okay, thanks in advance for any help.

you all are mahvelous.

...kp

Mount Pleasant...
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tourist cards & tax on flights to contadora from pc?

I have often been able to purchase my card at the gate before boarding the plane. I've also bought it on the plane and once I got to immigration in Panama City. Either way, you're going to have to wait in line with everybody else since immigration takes awhile every time I've been there.

Someone else can help with the tax issue but I don't think you're going to get around it. Gas prices has caused the price for these flights to increase quite a bit.

Have a great trip.

CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
Level Contributor
3,740 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tourist cards & tax on flights to contadora from pc?

Depending on who you are flying, Copa usually get tourist card at check-in, American never seems to have them.

Here is the key to getting through customs- get a head of everyone on your plane, if you are sitting in the back walk fast, don't stop and use restroom, don't look at girls or browse through duty free shops, your one purpose is to beat everyone downstairs, have $5 out for the tourist card, which can be bought at the base of the stairs.

3 weeks ago, beat most of my fellow passengers even though I was sitting in the back, line wasn't too long, but they only had 3 poeple working the customes desk at 7pm! Took an hour to get through the line, but it could have been worse, behind me the line streched almost out the bottom doors of the terminal.

Good luck, just don't get stuck behind any slow walking blue-hairs on the way to customs.

Panama City, Panama
Destination Expert
for Panama
Level Contributor
1,959 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tourist cards & tax on flights to contadora from pc?

Tourist card is as per Borracho and Chuck... and Chuck's advise for getting through Immigration is good...

As for the "impuesto de combustible" - this is a government controlled fuel surcharge that is tied to the cost of fuel and updated every few weeks by the Ministry of Commerce. There's no way around this as it applies to both national airlines equally. Their fares are also government approved and therefore are the same on the same routes.

Cheers,

Andrew

4. Re: tourist cards & tax on flights to contadora from pc?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 pm, October 06, 2009