We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gamboa resort - villas vs. rooms?

Which Colon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ontario
Level Contributor
207 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Gamboa resort - villas vs. rooms?

Hello,

I'm planning at trip to the Gamboa resort and am trying to decide if the upgrade ($200+) from the villa rooms to the hotel rooms is worth it? Are the villas that bad? I saw pictures of them and they looked fine to me, but I would hate to get there and have them be complete dumps. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Panama
11 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Gamboa resort - villas vs. rooms?

Hi,

well, the villas rooms look like a house with kitchens, two or three rooms, if you want to stay similar in your house i recommend to you to choose the villas, have more privacy, But the hotel rooms are so nice, very clean a gorgeous view, in the villas you can see a lot of diferents animals.

Also you can go to different tours, and the spa, the tours are Monkey Island a very funny tour, throughout THE pANAMA CANAL, etc... you can also visit for 3 or 2 days Bocas del Toro and San Blas kUNA yAla, you can visit www.dadibelodge.com and write to info@dadibelodge.com or to osiris@dadibelodge.com, or visit Bocas del Toro Bocas Inn or Punta Caracol

Bye

Noris Andrea

Ontario
Level Contributor
207 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gamboa resort - villas vs. rooms?

Thanks Andrea. We decided to book the hotel room for the week of Dec. 4th as the balcony was imporant to us. Would love to get to Bocas, but as we only have one week, we do not want to be away for 2-3 days. We are looking at many day tours though. Thanks for the info!

F
Burlington
Level Contributor
244 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gamboa resort - villas vs. rooms?

I stayed at the Gamboa a 2 or 3 years ago and the hotel rooms are definitely the way to go. I found it to be 1st class all the way.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
622 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gamboa resort - villas vs. rooms?

Hotel rooms are much nicer, although a week may be too long in this hotel, though.

Ontario
Level Contributor
207 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gamboa resort - villas vs. rooms?

Thanks, I'm glad I went with the upgrade. I can see how some might find a week too long, but for us, I don't think it will be long enough. We are nature nuts and very active - love that you can go for long hikes in the rainforest and see all kinds of wildlife, kayak up the chagres, bike to pipeline road, etc. Plus it's centrally located to many of the things we want to do, and is fairly close to Panama City. 19 days to go, can't wait!!!

F
Burlington
Level Contributor
244 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gamboa resort - villas vs. rooms?

Marleygirl,

If you get a chance, before you leave for Gamboa, rent a movie titled the Tailor of Panama starring Pierce Brosnan. The movie was filmed in 2001 almost entirely in Panama and a considerable part was filmed at the Gamboa Resort and along the shore of Gatun Lake. Once you arrive you will recognize the location of several movie scenes particularly the Los Lagartos restaurant.

Fred

LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gamboa resort - villas vs. rooms?

Marleygirl, glad you like nature. But still a week is along time to eat at those same two (expensive too) restaurants you will find at Gamboa. The place would bore me after two days. The food is only marginal also. I would not like this type of resort at all, even with the outdoorsy things to do. No nightlife to speak of; and Panama City is a good 40 minute drive from there. Gamboa is in the middle of nowhere and not representative of the "real Panama", I don't think.

In Panama City there is a park where you can hike, see monkeys, butterflies ride bikes around, etc. Lots of nature also, very nearby.

To each his own, I guess.

Ontario
Level Contributor
207 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gamboa resort - villas vs. rooms?

Thanks F, I will do that.

LN - I'm not worried as we got a fantastic deal for an all inclusive package including flight for $707 each from Toronto, so I don't care what the food is like, it's such a great deal. I don't expect it to be the real panama, we plan to go into the city a lot, and other areas for that. I think it looks fantastic for the price we paid, and because we're going to be away from the resort a lot, I don't think we'll get bored.

Thanks for the info everyone.

9. Re: Gamboa resort - villas vs. rooms?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:16 pm, August 26, 2009