We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hiring a SET taxi in Colon Panama

Delta BC
3 posts
Save Topic
hiring a SET taxi in Colon Panama

Going to be in Colon Panama March 22 2013. We don't want to book an excursion from the ship, would prefer to get a taxi and go to the Gatun locks etc. Have heard that hiring a SET taxi is the way to go. What is a reasonable price to negotiate with a total of four people going in the cab? Would like to have a tour of the locks and other sites

Edited: 11:14 pm, February 19, 2013
Maastricht, The...
1 post
Save Reply
11. Re: hiring a SET taxi in Colon Panama

I saw your message in "set taxi in Colon"

We ( 4 pers)make a cruise in Caribian and visit Colon 1 day

Arive 09.00 and depart 18.00

Also we want hire for this time a taxi and see as much as we can.

Do you have some sugestings how to do ?

My mailadress is wilhelm-1@home.nl

Thanks

Giel

San Francisco...
2 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: hiring a SET taxi in Colon Panama

I visited Panama and I use SET taxi from R&E Travels Panama. It was a Van for 6 people. They Charged me 120.00 for 4 hours.

Atlanta, Georgia...
Destination Expert
for Colon, Isla Grande, Portobelo
Level Contributor
4,839 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: hiring a SET taxi in Colon Panama

Yikes!! $120 for 4 hours??? That is robbery!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,513 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: hiring a SET taxi in Colon Panama

What are my options for a group of 6 coming from Albrook airport on a Saturday, staying at sierra Llorona (kinda near Colon?)---getting someone to pick us up, maybe do a stop at Gatun Locks and the Ft. San Lorenzo or Portobello fort, then dropping us at Sierra Llorona? Also, do you recommend San Lorenzo or the Portobelo fort for history, scenery, safety, nature, etc.?

Atlanta, Georgia...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,839 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: hiring a SET taxi in Colon Panama

How are you getting from Albrook to Sierra Llorona and back? RobertoW runs a tour agency in Colón. You can send him a PM. There's another transport company that I used with my Boy Scouts. They offer van and bus service, but they are not tour guides; Edwards Transport (www.edwardstransport.com). They could also take your group to Gatun, San Lorenzo and Portobelo.

If I had to choose Portobelo or San Lorenzo, I would definitely pick Portobelo. San Lorenzo is the ruins of one fort with a very picturesque view of the mouth of the Chagres river and the shore.. It's very different from when it was attacked by Henry Morgan. It was rebuilt and redesigned at least a couple of times after the 1670 attack. And, then the US Army did a lot of "renovation" in the 1930s and 40s.

Portobelo has four forts and the customs house and the church of the Black Christ and the Kuna market with excellent molas and a couple of very good restaurants just out of town. My favorite forts to visit are the two across the bay, one above the other. Let me know if you would like more of the history and folklore of Portobelo and I'll fill you in. Portobelo also offers some nice snorkeling, too.

So, for history - definitely Portobelo. Scenery - San Lorenzo has the edge, unless you go across the bay at Portobelo. Safety - either one are safe. Nature - neither one. You'll get that at Sierra Llorona.

Panama City, Panama
5 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: hiring a SET taxi in Colon Panama

gb_williams - What would be nice for a trip like that?

Atlanta, Georgia...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,839 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: hiring a SET taxi in Colon Panama

JChetcuti - I'm sorry, but I don't understand your question.

18. Re: hiring a SET taxi in Colon Panama

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, February 28, 2015