We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

internet service, electricity

South Carolina
2 posts
Save Topic
internet service, electricity

Hi everybody,

I want to take a vacation for a couple of weeks to the islands of Bocas del toro because I've heard so many good things about it. If I really enjoyed the area I was thinking about spending more time there (maybe 3 to 6 months). I make my living as daytrader, so this is the reason I ask this question. For the people that live there or have spent alot of time in Bocas, could you tell me how reliable are the internet service providers. I understand that sometimes the internet will occassionally go down even in the states, but is it a recurring problem (if there is a problem with internet service?) Also, are there alot of electric outages in Bocas? I was born and spent alot of my childhood in Santo Domingo, DR and we were lucky if we got 12 hours of electricity a day? Is it anything like that? I know Panama has a first world infrastructure by central american standards, but I would like to know about this because this is how I make my living. If it wasnt then I really wouldnt care.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jon

Panama City, Panama
Destination Expert
for Panama
Level Contributor
1,967 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: internet service, electricity

There is a wireless provider in Bocas called Sistemas Inalambricos or SISA and there are a few cafes with internet now - the last time I was there I was in the coffee shop at Swan's Cay and working on my computer (quite a few months ago now so I am sure there are even more).

Electricity can be iffy but I haven't heard of it being out for long periods at a time - maybe a few hours at most.

I am sure the wireless folks have battery backups for their system but you could check with their office in Bocas to see.

Cheers,

Andrew

Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: internet service, electricity

It really depends upon where you stay - electricity and internet access are pretty constant in most of the province. I would suggest you come down for a short stay and see if you think you can make a living day trading from Bocas. I imagine you can.

3. Re: internet service, electricity

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:22 am, August 27, 2009