We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Puerto Viejo to Bocas del Toro Island

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Topic
From Puerto Viejo to Bocas del Toro Island

We are planning a trip to Puerto Viejo, Costa Rica and a friend recommended to go to Bocas del Toro Island.

How long would it take? I assume it would be combination of road and water taxi. What form or transportation would it be? How is Bocas del Toro Island? What should we do in Bocas del Toro Island?

St. Louis, Missouri
Level Contributor
491 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Puerto Viejo to Bocas del Toro Island

There is no Bocas del Toro Island. Bocas is a group of islands. Bocas town is on the main island, Isla Colon. There are several smaller islands. I stayed on Bastimentos at Casa Cayuco and it was fabulous and peaceful. I thought Bocas town was dirty and not my scene. More of a party place than to just relax. You can take a bus over the border to Panama, and then catch one to Almirante. There you will get a water taxi. The whole thing should only take a couple of hours max with waiting.

Activities I did was read on the beach, kayak, tour a native village, hike in the jungle, snorkeling (best ever), go to look for dolphins.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Puerto Viejo to Bocas del Toro Island

Depending, it should take around 4 hours. You can take a bus to the border and then a taxi/shuttle to the water taxi. You can easily (as I am sure you will see signs in PV) take a group shuttle all the way to isla colon for around 30 pp. When you get to Bocas you can walk around and find a hotel for the night and then find somewhere else you like.There will be lots of people trying to walk you to hotels, they get a tip from the hotel, so just tell them your price range. There are tons.

Punta Uva, Costa...
Level Contributor
291 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Puerto Viejo to Bocas del Toro Island

From PV you can pre-arrange your shuttle from the Panama border to the water taxi to Bocas. There is an honest, caring and very affordable shuttle bus driver named Mendoza who will only charge tourists $10 each - there is a wide fluctuation in what a tourist can get charged and Mendoza will make sure you arrive safely without being separated from your money.

You can call him (Spanish only, if you need your hotel or friends to call) to arrange to either pick you up from or drop you off at the border at 6555 24 79.

It can be a bit overwhelming at the border when men and kids surround you to try and help you with your bags and get you into a taxi, so having that taken care of before you get there can alleviate some confusion and potential stress. Panama is very beautiful - take care and be safe.

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,972 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From Puerto Viejo to Bocas del Toro Island

Just book with caribe shuttle. They take care of everything

5. Re: From Puerto Viejo to Bocas del Toro Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 28, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Bocas del Toro Province