We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Book On TripAdvisor Bonus Book your hotel on TripAdvisor — then save 20% on things to do for your trip. Use code BOOKTOSAVE.

ATM and also do ANY restaurants accept credit cards?

Which Bocas del Toro Province hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
706 posts
35 reviews
ATM and also do ANY restaurants accept credit cards?

I did a search here for ATM info and most of the info is a couple years (or more) old. We have to pay the second part of our hotel bill $750 plus all our meals and tours (so I am thinking at least another $1000 for our family plus our hotel bill. It would be great if we could pay for some of the meals and tours by credit card. Does anyone have updated info? We LOVE food, so will be visiting the top restaurants on TA like Guari Guari, El Pecado, Wine Bar, Mantis, Bibis, etc. and for 4 people, even with the inexpensive prices on Bocas, I expect we will be $60 - $100 per night (we like wine!).

Can we count on credit cards anywhere?

Thanks so much!

bocas del toro...
Level Contributor
82 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: ATM and also do ANY restaurants accept credit cards?

Zero to none (hahaha) accept credit cards - the grocery stores do however - but other than that you can use your ATM card. Make sure that you have a 4 digit pin. No travellers checks.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
706 posts
35 reviews
2. Re: ATM and also do ANY restaurants accept credit cards?

Thanks so much! I will see if we can pay our hotel by paypal. At least that will take care of a large portion.

Thanks!

Ancaster, On
Level Contributor
61 posts
80 reviews
3. Re: ATM and also do ANY restaurants accept credit cards?

Anyone know how many ATMs are in Bocas town? Are they reliable?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
706 posts
35 reviews
4. Re: ATM and also do ANY restaurants accept credit cards?

If you do a search on this forum for ATM, you get lots of info (just didn't get the info I wanted) :)

The forum says there used to be 2, now there is one. They are fairly reliable however a couple people over the last few years said it ran out of money while they were there. I am a bit nervous, but not crazy nervous! :)

Panama
Destination Expert
for Bocas del Toro Province
Level Contributor
257 posts
23 reviews
5. Re: ATM and also do ANY restaurants accept credit cards?

there are 2 ATM machines in Bocas both in Banco national.

There are several restaurant in bocas that accept credit card.

Some I know of but for sure this are not all

Buena vista Bar and grill

El Limbo

Bocas del toro

Bibi on the beach

Lemon grass

enjoy Bocas

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
706 posts
35 reviews
6. Re: ATM and also do ANY restaurants accept credit cards?

Fantastic! I didn't think there were any restaurants that took credit cards.

Can anyone else add to the list?

What about 9 Degrees, Guari Guari, El Pecado, El Ultimo Refugio, Raw?

Thanks, you just made my day!

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,955 posts
129 reviews
7. Re: ATM and also do ANY restaurants accept credit cards?

Is 9 degrees still open? I believed I payed with a cc at Raw this summer. El Pecado we paid with Credit Card. I can't remember about El Ultimoo Refugio or Guari Guari. We paid cash because we were with a group.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
706 posts
35 reviews
8. Re: ATM and also do ANY restaurants accept credit cards?

Thanks for the reply! I just noticed that nobody has reviewed 9 degrees since March, so maybe it is closed. I sent them an email to find out.

This is such great news! Once I am back I will give a full report on who takes CCs and who doesn't. Our biggest concern was how to carry so much money with us (better exchange rate getting the money in Toronto) and how to take so much money out of the ATM.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
706 posts
35 reviews
9. Re: ATM and also do ANY restaurants accept credit cards?

9 Degrees is no longer open, they just replied via email. Oh well, lots of other places to visit!

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
321 posts
116 reviews
10. Re: ATM and also do ANY restaurants accept credit cards?

We used the ATM in Bocas just a week ago. No problems. The reason we prefer using cash is that everyone who is taking credit cards will pass on the 3% charge onto the customers. So we pay cash everywhere. We also live in Boquete now and the same applies here as well as in other parts of Latin America. The vendors here have no qualms in telling people that if you pay by credit card they will have to charge you the 3% that the bank is going to charge them. Just wanted to mention it. Our hotel in Bocas I booked through Expedia so I didn't have to pay cash, nor did we have to carry large amounts of cash with us.