We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bugs and humidity

san clemente, ca
5 posts
Save Topic
bugs and humidity

I have a friend that just came back from the Panama Canal and she said the humidity and the mosquitos are soooooo bad. she could hardly breath from the humidity and she is from the beach in southern calif

someone please tell me how bad it really is in Bocas Del Toro as far as the humidity and bugs, I would love to come visit and maybe retire there but hate mosquitos and high humidity

Panama City, Panama
13 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: bugs and humidity

The humidity is pretty intense...like 100% in the rainy season whether it's raining or not. It is a shocker until you've been here about a week and adjust. And the standing joke about Bocas is that there are two season, wet and wetter.

Having said that, it seems that there is almost always a nice breeze, especially near the ocean. Sometimes you don't even realize how sticky you are until you stop. And the temps consistantly drop to a balmy, perfect temp at night. Even during the day, it doesn't get as hot here as you would think...it's in the 80's a lot more than the 90's.

As for mosquitos, oddly enough, I don't think I've ever had a bite of any sort in Bocas or in other parts of Panama that are jungle. I hear there are certain beaches in Bocas that are full of sand fleas and no-seeums that can be a real pain. I recently spent about 4 days in Bocas without a bite, came back to urban Panama City, got bit and got dengue fever...which is rampant down here right now. Everyone I know says the same thing...mosquitos are more of a problem in the towns and cities than in rural settings. Assume the trash strewn about offers more breeding grounds.

To better avoid mosquito bites, I recommend not eating sugar and eating lots of garlic for two weeks before arriving. Also, take a multi B vitamin. Seems they detest the B and in Costa Rica, a B complex is sold as a mosquito repellent.

Bocas is beautiful. Go before it's overdeveloped!