We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two airports? How do you get to Bocas?

Harper, Kansas
Level Contributor
486 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Two airports? How do you get to Bocas?

I have a week, and can maybe use some FF miles to get to Panama City. I'm interested in Bocas del Toro. But, would it take forever to get there? As it is, I'll be overnight just getting to PTY. And, do you have to change airports? Can res from PTY to Bocas be made from US? Thanks.

Panama City
Level Contributor
19 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two airports? How do you get to Bocas?

The flight from Panama City to Bocas del Toro is about one hour, and yes, you'll be using two different airports. Your flight from the US arrives at Tocumen Int'l Airport and your domestic flight to Bocas will depart from Albrook airport. Regarding flights to Bocas, you can check out the website of Aeroperlas, which is the most popular local airline. They are not the most organized airline and they don't understand US standards of customer service, but I've flown them a lot and they're a professional organization.

Most likely, you'd arrive in Panama from the US in the afternoon/evening and would overnight in Panama City. You could probably catch a 9am flight to Bocas the next day. Both airports are about 20 minutes (in opposite directions) from the downtown area of Panama City.

Bocas is a cool place - it rains a lot there, but still definitely worth visiting.

lewisburg, pa
Level Contributor
21 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two airports? How do you get to Bocas?

The Hotel Mirabella is a good place to spend the night, a decent little restaurant right next door and many others within walking distance. The cost is about $40 per night. Also it's helpful to have a car waiting at the airport when you get there, and the next morning when you go to Albrook airport. Try Goldenfrog.net, you can make the arrangements to be picked up ahead of time with Jose. He has a network of drivers and they all seem to be very reliable. You can also print your ticket online from the Aeroperlas website. One more thing, pack light because they will charge you extra when you check in if your bags are over 25 lbs, it's not alot but it's good to know.

Bocas is a great place! Have fun!