We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get from Bocas Del Toro, Panama to Manuel Antonio, CR

Which Boquete hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
CA
Level Contributor
9 posts
248 reviews
Save Topic
How to get from Bocas Del Toro, Panama to Manuel Antonio, CR

This July, we will be in Panama for 8 nights (Panama City, Boquete, then Bocas Del Toro for 4 nights), then we would like to go to Costa Rica for a week (Arenal, Manuel Antonio and the last night outside San Jose.) How do we (family of 5) get from Bocas to Costa Rica, and do we go to Arenal 1st or Manuel Antonio? The cost for 5 to fly is too high. I realize it would make more sence to go to Bocas, then to Boquete, then to CR, but the Bocas lodge that I would like to stay at only does Mon. check ins for 4 nights. I would appreciate any advice! Thanks!

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
336 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get from Bocas Del Toro, Panama to Manuel Antonio, CR

You are correct, it would make more sense flying to Bocas del toro, transfer to Boquete, go down to David and take bus or fly air panama to Costa Rica.

Check in again with your Bocas Hotel. I have never heard of this requirement. So many places would love to have your booking for what ever days you are interested in...

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
321 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get from Bocas Del Toro, Panama to Manuel Antonio, CR

Contact Caribe Shuttle service. They do transfers from Bocas to San Jose. They might get you to where you want to go. They are on the pier in Bocas. They do have a website.

You could also fly on Nature Air from Bocas to San Jose. That is the smaller airline that flies only among Central American countries. Air Panama doesn't have any flights from Bocas to San Jose.

Enjoy Bocas. Where are you trying to stay? If you haven't booked check out Gran Hotel Bahia. The owner Tito was born on the Island. Great place to stay. We also recommend the Bahia del Sol and the resort next door to it (same owners).

If you want more info on Boquete or Bocas let me know. I've lived in Boquete, have contacts in PC and also on Bocas.

CA
Level Contributor
9 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to get from Bocas Del Toro, Panama to Manuel Antonio, CR

Thank you for the info. We (family of 5) are taking the bus from Panama City to David, then to Boquete and staying 3 nights. We then need to get from Boquete to Almirante to catch the boat to Bocas. Do you recommend that we rent a car in David to have while we are in Boquete, then drive to Almirante. I was told that there is a car rental co. that allows this (with a $80 fee.) OR should we take the bus from David to Boquete, depend on public transport/taxis while we are there, then get to Almirante? What is the best (and economical)way to get to Almirante? The bus will take us back to David, the 4 more hrs to go up. The shuttles I have checked with are $150 and up, and I was told that taxis can't take 5 passengers? Thanks for your help!

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
321 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to get from Bocas Del Toro, Panama to Manuel Antonio, CR

A lot will depend on where you are staying in Boquete as to whether or not you will need a car. Taxi's hold 5 people? Not that I ever saw. And you will have luggage. Why are they charging you an $80 fee extra to get to Almirante? Something is wrong somewhere. There are shuttle services with all the tour companies and even the main hostel in town that offer shuttle service to Almirante, for a very good price. So there is no need to head back to David to catch the bus. Just go from Boquete. What shuttles did you check with?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,879 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to get from Bocas Del Toro, Panama to Manuel Antonio, CR

I would assume the 80 dollar fee is a drop off fee for a rental car. If they are charging you 150 for a shuttle fee for 5 people from Boquete, that seems correct.

Florence, just a quick comment about Hotel Bahia. My friends just left town and they stayed there for a night. When we went to go drop off something with them, they would not let us go to the room to look at it. I explained that we are looking for rooms for wedding guests in three weeks. They kept pointing at the sign that said no guests allowed. My bride, who is Panamanian, explained again in Spanish that we just wanted to look at the rooms to see if they were OK for her grandmother and other family members. They still refused. I asked them how my friends saw the room before they booked it for a night and my friends told me they were not allowed to see the room first. I asked for the manager and she said no,even after I said she could go with us. I then asked about Tito, whom she said would not be back until July. I asked why my friends were not allowed to see a room first and she claimed that the hotel was completely full, which was strange because it was empty except for my friends the day after they booked it. She then said OK but we only had five minutes to look... On top of that the rooms were 90 dollars and they would not work out a deal for a large party and because the wedding is a few days before the official low season begins they would only charge us high season rates. Not a way to run a business for sure.

6. Re: How to get from Bocas Del Toro, Panama to Manuel Antonio, CR

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, April 06, 2014