We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Climb Volcan Baru with a mountain bike

Which Boquete hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Topic
Climb Volcan Baru with a mountain bike

Hi, I have seen videos of people cycling to the summit of Volcan Baru.

Is this currently permitted?

Boquete, Panama
Level Contributor
1 post
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Climb Volcan Baru with a mountain bike

As far as I know it is ok to ride a mountain bike up Baru. Last Nov. I rode up it on my dirt bike, it cost $3.00 for park entry, at the ranger station that is about 500 meters up from the end of the asphalt. It is a very technical ride, but it is a BLAST!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Climb Volcan Baru with a mountain bike

Thanks for your reply, finally I did it. Just as you said the downhill is a blast! Very technical because of the big holes and rocks, very fun!

On the way up to the summit I had to walk my bike most of the time because of the rocks and steepness, but it was still fun.

Thanks again

Belfast, United...
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Climb Volcan Baru with a mountain bike

Just wondering if you used a guide for the hike. I am doing it in Feb and I hear alot of people saying I need one yet others say there is no need. As someone who has done it recently what do you recommend?

D

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Climb Volcan Baru with a mountain bike

Hi, I think there is no need, the road is well marked , it has signs telling you the distance you have walked and how much is left to reach the summit. Maybe a guide would be useful if you want someone to explain you things about the nature you see around (birds, trees, etc.), but I don't think you will get lost if you go alone, it's a wide road for cars.

If you plan to go up and down on the same day try to start early because it's a long walk: 8km from Boquete to the park entrance (you can take a taxi to skip this if you want) and 13km from the park entrance to the summit.

Please notice that I did the Boquete trail, not the one that starts near Volcan which is supposed to be more technical and panoramic.

Lafayette, Louisiana
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Climb Volcan Baru with a mountain bike

You need a guide, I will be in Boquete around the same time, I am going to get Armando from Ecotour Guides of Panama. You can find them on Facebook....if you dont get a guide get ready for La Drones (thieves) but if you wanna try your luck, go alone ;)

Edited: 12:32 am, January 06, 2013
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Climb Volcan Baru with a mountain bike

To be honest I didn't feel unsafe nor heard something about thieves while I was there. But I am not a local, so maybe you can ask someone else.

Edited: 3:33 pm, January 06, 2013
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
12,954 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Climb Volcan Baru with a mountain bike

cf tripadvisor.com/…46062570

Colorado
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Climb Volcan Baru with a mountain bike

Great job, angava! Do you have any writeups or pictures of your cycling?

Glad for you to get some great cycling in safely.

Just for others reference on this topic, since a few people have been intersted, I "gave up" on cycling up Baru after about 4km of pushing my bike up the hill, which is where it really got rockier with larger, bowling-ball sized boulders and steps (although there were short sections later that would have been nice to ride again).

I stashed my bike in the jungle and hiked up and ran down. For me, that was faster than pushing the bike up and riding down, because it was slow pushing the bike up, and I would have ridden slow and conservative on the way down. If you enjoy running or fast hiking, this is actually a good "trail" to run because it is much drier and not muddy like other local trails. This would have been a better ride for a full-suspension bike, arm and shin guards, a full-face helmet , and good downhill technical skills -- none of which I had on a moderate rental bike. So it was faster for me to drop the bike, or I would not have made it back in the time I had estimated to my wife.

However, I was glad to have disc brakes so as not to overheat, and I rented for $20/day at Hostel Nomba.

The surprise was that the last 3-4 km's, being less technical, were quite fun, but the ride to/from Boquete (Los Naranjos in my case) was very fun, with speeds over 50-60km/hour. It was wonderful to smell the trees and feel the breeze, and the road wasn't crowded.

My new recommendation, then, for avid cyclists, is riding the paved road up to Volcan Baru, and many of the other loops, such as the Bajo Mono loop and Alto Quiel. These paved roads are actually spectacular and fairly smooth, and actually having a mountain bike (or a cyclocross bike) with wider tires and disc brakes is the way to go. These are my observations, I think I would have enjoyed more cycling on paved roads instead of hiking.

Cheers!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Climb Volcan Baru with a mountain bike

Thanks Mike! I have no writeups yet, but I will try to do it soon.

You are right, it's important to be careful and have at least a helmet when going down in this volcano. Fortunately I brought my own bike and equipment so I had no problems, but still, your bike has to be in good conditions to handle and resist this rough road.

10. Re: Climb Volcan Baru with a mountain bike

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, February 01, 2014