We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To the beach from Boquete

Which Boquete hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Charleston,SC
6 posts
Save Topic
To the beach from Boquete

My wife and I are coming to visit Boquete for a few days and we are wondering what is a good beach to maybe visit and stay at within a few hours drive of Boquete?

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
214 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: To the beach from Boquete

Kind of a bad question if you are looking for a nice beach an hour away. Your Low Country beaches there at home are better than anything within 3-4 hours of Boquete. If you are driving from PC to Boquete, plan your trip to stop along the way for beach time. Once in Boquete, good beaches are an overnight or two. Not a day trip. Have you been to Boquete before? If not, I'd give you one or two suggestions for a delightful day if you wish........

Charleston,SC
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: To the beach from Boquete

We have never been before. We were hoping to go to the beach also. Our early plans are to fly from PC to David then rent a car. Is it better to rent on in PC and drive to Boquete, thus being able to stop on the way or coming back?

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
214 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: To the beach from Boquete

Well, it is about 6+ hour drive....watch your speed...80 kph seems real slow and you tend to go faster, in which case the nice policeman will gladly take your $20-30 cash fine fore going 80 in a 40! LOL....to excellent beaches in the Pedasi area.

Last time there, we wanted to see the wonderful beaches on the Azuero peninsula just below Pedasi, so we spent a couple of nights at Casita Margarita in Pedasi. Great stay. Drive about 30 mins south out of town to the beach. There are more than one, ranging from 30 mins to an hour or so. The drive is nice, roads are great. People are laid back cattle country. I've been told the beaches there are as nice as anywhere in Panama and VERY undeveloped so no tourist stuff and very little service. Enjoy the long walks alone with no one bothering you!

If you fly to David, you eliminate the fairly long drives across the country but then you miss that visual part of the trip as well. We will fly to David next trip but are glad we rented in PC this time.

Pedasi is about 6 hours from PC. Boquete is about 6 hours from Pedasi. Boquete to PC is about 6 hours. You are making a triangle so to speak. We really enjoyed it but next trip back in a couple of months will be 100% Boquete. We are trying to firm up plans for retirement there some day! Hope this helps a bit.

Atlanta Georgia
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: To the beach from Boquete

For a nice beach and mountain combination, take a look at Hotel Cala Mia. This is a small boutique hotel located on Isla Boca Brave, about a one hour drive from David. The hotel can arrange a driver to pick you up and drive you to the small fishing village of Boca Brava, where the hotel will have a boat waiting for you. The setting is very nice, being located on a bluff overlooking the Pacific. The guests stay in individual casitas, which are very comfortable. Once you conclude your stay, the hotel will arange transport back to the David airport. At the airport, rent a small 4-wheel drive and make the easy drive to Boquette. Having a car an Boquette will enhance your trip, allowing you to see the beautiful countryside.

As was mentioned by the previous poster, let me know if you need suggestions about accomodations and activities in Bouquette.

Have a wonderfull trip.

Regards,

Robert H.

CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
Level Contributor
3,665 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: To the beach from Boquete

There is a small resort/hotel in Las Olas, I believe that is the beach's name, about 30-40 minutes outside of David, the beach there is average at best, there is also a decent public beach with a small restaurant.

If you are driving from PC stop in Santa Clara on the way, you could combine a beach stop with a trip to El Valle.

You do not need to rent a 4x4 to get around Panama, the biggest issues are potholes and the traffic in PC. Unless you have a ton of bags just rent a small front wheel drive car.

Panama City, Panama
Destination Expert
for Panama
Level Contributor
1,959 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: To the beach from Boquete

If you are driving from Boquete back to the beaches:

To Las Olas - black sand beach - usually quite large waves but a very long beach to walk along. Las Olas Resort is there - not a bad spot to spend the night - decent rates and good restaurant - large condo/house development there as well.

Drive back to David - once at David turn right onto the highway and follow the signs to the airport. You will be turning left off the highway after a few miles. Then look for signs to Las Olas (blue with a wave logo) on them after passing Super 99 supermarket on your left - turnoff is to the right next to a Catholic School/Church but the signs are quite visible - then follow the signs - it's about 25-30 minutes and the signs are will placed.

To Cala Mia - small boutique "green" resort - uses solar power so there's no a/c but there's usually a decent breeze and ceiling fans to keep you cool. Horseshoe shaped beach on one side and rocky shore on the other side of the peninsula where they are located. Isolated so limited to eating at the resort but the food's always been good and plentiful when I've been there.

When you reach David from Boquete, turn left and head east about 20 minutes - look for a sign for Horconcitos - may even have one now to Boca Chica (not Boca Brava as mentioned above) - this is a right turn off the highway - they have been working this road so it should be in pretty good shape - when I was there last it was graded gravel except for some parts where it was still a bit lumpy - hopefully they're a lot further ahead by now.

You park in Boca Chica (about 20 minutes from the main highway) and the resort will arrange for a local boat to take you to the resort - about 30 minutes.

Optionally - the resort can pick you up at the port near the Airport in David and it's a 45-60 minute boat ride to the resort through the inland estuaries etc. Great ride but it's a bit pricey if there's only 2 people.

There's another beach that's about another hour past Horconcitos - Las Lajas - there are some accommodation options there but I've never had the chance to visit - need to do that one of these days.

Hope this helps,

Andrew

Charleston,SC
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: To the beach from Boquete

Thanks for all the help so far. I will start investigating theses beaches to see if something will work. We are pretty simple people, so I am sure something that has been mentioned will do. Thanks again.

Atlanta Georgia
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: To the beach from Boquete

The choice of car or 4-wheel drive depends on what you like to do, and how adventurous you are. In Boquette my wife and I like to explore and get off the beaten track. Some of the more remote roads are gravel/dirt and steeply pitched. However, the main roads are paved, and perfectly suitabe for a car. It just depends on what you like to do.

Regards,

Robert H.

Boquete
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: To the beach from Boquete

If you are looking for a great off season beach deal, just a couple of hours from Boquete check this out;http://www.expeditionpanama.com/

They are having a whale watching special from August until November. This is a private island out of Boca Chica, all inclusive. You can even rent the entire island if you have a large group, or family.

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: To the beach from Boquete

If one was to drive to Boca Brave from Boquete, is there a place to leave your car for a night or two?

Thanks!