We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip from Muscat to Salalah by car

Which Salalah hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
34 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Trip from Muscat to Salalah by car

How does it sound - a car trip from Muscat to Salalah (and return)? With a kid ... (who is a great traveler though)? How are the roads, accommodation, safety...? All suggestions, tips appreciated! By the way, we have been in Muscat and Nizwa.

(I spotted one similar question but without replies).

Many thanks!

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
716 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip from Muscat to Salalah by car

Nothing to see between Nizwa and the Dhofar mountains except gravel plain (sand dunes in the distance).

A few small hotels.

Lots of head-on car crashes as the road is one lane in each direction.

Take the plane.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip from Muscat to Salalah by car

I agree, it is a very dangerous trip that isn't quite worth it.

Salalah is worth visiting, but I would fly.

Sohar, Oman
Level Contributor
16 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip from Muscat to Salalah by car

I went from Sohar in my Ford Explorer with 2 kids (8 yr and 2 yr) two months back. We enjoyed the trip. Here is my experience, Fill fuel where ever you see a fuel station, always keep your mind in the road, check/service the vehicle thorughly before you start, beware of cross winds after ADAM, beware of bad roads after Haima. Lookout for camels that can come on your way. The truck drivers are really courteous and drive at a speed that you can control the vehicle. My advice is take minimum a mid size 4 Wheel Drive.

Muscat, Oman
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip from Muscat to Salalah by car

Would like to take a trip to Salalah from Muscat. Do I need 4x4 or is all wheel drive fine? What is camping like along the road? May you camp anywhere or only at designated campsites? Are there any campsites?

Muscat, Oman
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip from Muscat to Salalah by car

What possibilities are there for sleep over? May we camp anywhere?

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
716 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip from Muscat to Salalah by car

There are a couple of guest houses where you can sleep. They are listed somewhere on this forum. You can camp anywhere; don't camp too close to the road as you don't want a car smashing through your campsite at 160kph when the driver falls asleep :)

Dubai, United Arab...
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
6,815 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip from Muscat to Salalah by car

Hi woudieH

Did you manage the trip to Salalah? Can you share your driving experience? I am planning to drive from UAE

Thanks

Oman
Level Contributor
78 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip from Muscat to Salalah by car

It's an extremely boring 8 hour drive. So monotonous it will make you fall,asleep.

The roads are excellent and you don't need a 4WD from that perspective.

You can camp anywhere and Oman is pretty safe but there are no camping sites or picturesque places you would want to spend time on.

There are small towns in between where you can expect to find just the very basic things.

Best to fly.

sharjah
Level Contributor
8 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip from Muscat to Salalah by car

Dear All,

I have been thrice to Salalah by road since 2003. The fouth one will be this holiday. It is perfectly safe as anywehre in Oman. Make sure to fill up petrol every station, as you would get half the milage at high open highway speeds than usual. Now complete road is covered by mobile cover, unlike earlier - only some 10kms in between were covered.

There are many cars on holidays. Otherwise you would probably get help from trucks, all are eager to help you. I have found 'need help?' gesture is lesser nowadays. Because people from UAE/other GCC does not understand their language and nobody reciprocate. Waving hands, honking are all this, do it back so they also feel happy to see you safe. After all its Oman. Do this to keep the culture alive, we are all friendly after all...:)

sharjah
Level Contributor
8 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip from Muscat to Salalah by car

Did my fourth trip this Sept. Roads are far better now. Old one remain under refurbishment after Hyma. Complete mobile signalled. Beware driving over the mountains inside Salalah (Tawi Attair area) where rain & mud makes road slippery like anything. I skidded off the tarmac on my 4th drive. A good saloon car with Nitrogen filled tyres will be prefect, as cross winds are not affected much like in a 4x4. You can complete the trip one way including fill ups & boarder formalities in 9 hours. So dont get away with public opinion of 15-16 hours normally required by any SUV. A drive during rainy season will need a fog lamp. The new road from Ibri reaches near Ghaba faster than older road via Adam. I really look forward for a 5th drive ..its worth, radar less Autobahn.