We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Nizwa worth a visit?

Great Missenden...
Level Contributor
84 posts
418 reviews
Save Topic
Is Nizwa worth a visit?

We will be staying in Muscat without a car.

Are the sights at Nizwa worth my getting a guide/driver to take us there for a night and any expense that that entails? If I did go how much could I expect to pay for the trip?

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,605 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Nizwa worth a visit?

"Worth it" is pretty subjective. It's a fascinating place, and the fort is nicely restored; the souq and goat market are very interesting as well. It's only two hours from Muscat--why not make it a day trip instead?

Great Missenden...
Level Contributor
84 posts
418 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Nizwa worth a visit?

Thanks for that and for being so fast - a day trip it is then!

I see you are a destination expert for Quito - we had a great trip there and to the Galapagos, and also down the avenue of volcanos.

Best wishes

Peter

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Nizwa worth a visit?

I think Nizwa is certainly worth it. I personally always enjoyed going there just to relax, wander around, and take pictures. There is also a lot of exploring to be done around the mountains and villages surrounding it.

Nizwa is accessible by shared taxis from the Sahwa roundabout (it used to be OMR 2 or 3 per person, not sure how that has changed), and all of the tour companies also have packages with 4x4s so you can have a private driver to give you a full sense of the area. I really am not sure what that would cost, so your best bet is to reach out to several of the companies.

Muscat Governorate...
Destination Expert
for Muscat Governorate, Oman
Level Contributor
665 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Nizwa worth a visit?

You may also wish to visit Bahla fort while you are down in Nizwa. You can cover both in the same day.

Great Missenden...
Level Contributor
84 posts
418 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Nizwa worth a visit?

Thank all you 'Destination Experts' - Nizwa it is then with Bahla fort en route!

6. Re: Is Nizwa worth a visit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 pm, October 29, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Nizwa