We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

accomodation in Nizwa

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
accomodation in Nizwa

I am planning to go to Nizwa from Muscat in the end of Dec. and since I will be taking public transport,I wonder if there is any hotel/guest house in the town where I can have easy access to the fort and the souq, or close to the place where the bus will drop me off. Also, from Nizwa, I would like to visit nearby places such as Bahla, and Jabrin. Does anyone know how much will an engaged taxi cost , if there is no public transportation available?

A separate question : does the fort in Nizwa close on Fridays?

Thanks in advance.

Meg

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: accomodation in Nizwa

The Nizwa fort DOES close on Fridays, I think it is 11 or 11:30am.

An engaged taxi to bahla or jabrin shouldnt cost more than a couple rial, but I'm not totally sure. You should be able to find a shared taxi that is going in that direction.

For accomodation, check out the Falaj Daris, Majan Guest House, or the Golden Tulip. I dont think any are RIGHT in the center of Nizwa, but still no more than a couple minutes away.

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: accomodation in Nizwa

Thank you very much for the reply. I am wondering if I can visit Nizwa, Bahla and Jabrin on a single day from Muscat (either with private transport or public transport) (to see the fort in Jabrin, the fort and souq in Nizwa and the tomb in Bahla - some other things important to see?)? If so, I may not need accomodation in Nizwa.

Besides,to go to Jebal Shams, it is better from Nizwa, or from muscat (in terms of distance and time)

Thank you very much.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: accomodation in Nizwa

I personally think that everything can be seen in one day, except perhaps the mountains (which are easier to reach from Nizwa). If you would like to see them, stay the night, go in the morning, and then head back in the afternoon.

Without actually driving yourself, I think the easiest way to reach Nizwa is by a shared taxi. They leave from the Burj Al Sahwa roundabout and only cost a couple rial. Last I heard it was 2 rial per person, but it has probably gone up a bit. They leave whenever the car fills up, so you shouldn't have to wait too long.

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: accomodation in Nizwa

Great! thanks Destination Expert! how about from Nizwa to the mountains - should I get an engaged taxi? and actually which village /town should I head to? I guess it is just to see the scenary, but not hiking too much?

One separate question - how cold will Oman be at the end of Dec? I will depart from a very cold country, and wonder should I take two sets of clothing (one for cold and one for warm/hot weather) thanks a ton!

5. Re: accomodation in Nizwa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, October 30, 2013