We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where are the best place to go in benin city ?

germany
5 posts
Save Topic
where are the best place to go in benin city ?

i will be going to benin in the end of the year so i will like to know alot about benin  like were to eat how to get a car are the people nice if you know anything about benin let me know

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
143 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where are the best place to go in benin city ?

I would also like any info on Benin City as im going in November. Were staying at the Randekhi Hotel, has anyone stayed there?

germany
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: where are the best place to go in benin city ?

when you come back let me know how it was, i will be going next year with my baby .

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
143 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where are the best place to go in benin city ?

Will do. Finally got my visa yesterday so starting to get excited now!

ada
cardiff
Level Contributor
1,190 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where are the best place to go in benin city ?

there was a small museum in the middle of the roundabout in the centre of benin city which, if still open, had benin bronze related displays and was quite good. There was also a silver jewelry workshop and shop near the bank on the roundabout (?Ogbe) The city walls are in a bit of a state and the palace you can usually only see from outside. As with anything in Nigeria you are best travelling with people who live there ie get met at the airport and driven by someone you know (for safety reasons).Eating also depends on your immune system - goats head pepper soup (ishi ewu) is a local delicacy but hotel meals tend to be good. Use common (traveller) sense. There are various curfews which restrict travel eg enviromental sanitation day and travelling around at night is usually avoided - again this is why being with resident friends is a good idea as they will have a good idea of safe zones/times.NIFOR (about 20 miles out) used to be a good place to go for picnics/swimming (in river and club pool) and hanging out in the colonial style clubhouse but I have heard that it is run down now. There is a hotel on a 'beach' on the river in Abraka/Obiaruku which was still nice for swimming 6 years ago but I have no current info - local friends will know if still good and whether safe to go there.

ps anywhere with airconditioning will be your favourite place - its the humidity that gets you as well as the heat.

Mentioned in this post
Nigeria
Nigeria
Africa
germany
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: where are the best place to go in benin city ?

thanks for the info ade .

germany
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: where are the best place to go in benin city ?

thanks for the info ade .

Hampton Bays, NY
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: where are the best place to go in benin city ?

does anyone have any phone numbers for the benin city police departments? I too will be going at the end of the year. Dec.25th to be exact. Anyone else going at that time?

germany
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: where are the best place to go in benin city ?

i am going on the 15 0f january.

philippines
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: where are the best place to go in benin city ?

im a filipino working here in benin and i know a lot of people here that can help you, if you want somebody to guide you just give me a call +2348073222982 i can help you.

booma

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
143 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: where are the best place to go in benin city ?

Just got back from 8 days in Benin (the other 2 were spent in Lagos) and was very pleastantly surprised! The people were lovely & extremely friendly (except single young women!!), im not a meat eater so was pretty restricted on food but if meat is no problem the food seems really good & cheap also.

Didnt actually go & see or do anything there (well except get married!!) but there is a national park & zoo outside the city & i did see 1 art gallery.

Are you going with a local? If not be warned the roads & traffic are horrendous & i wouldnt really advise driving on them unless you know what your doing & where your going. We went to a few music bars with live bands - 1 was Time Out, i can get the names of the others too if your interested - and stayed out until 12 or 1 which i was shocked at! Saw 2 other white people in Benin so be prepared to be stared at continously!

If i can help with anything else just ask, and yep i would go back to Benin (though not Lagos) & hopefully will as now im married to a local!!!

Mentioned in this post
Lagos
Lagos
Lagos State, Nigeria
Get answers to your questions about Benin City