We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barcelo Montelimar

Which Montelimar hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Barcelo Montelimar

has anyone been to the hotel recently and done any day trips from the hotel? We are hoping to travel there in Jan/ 14 and any suggestions would be appreciated. We have already toured Granada and the volcano.

Thanks

Managua, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
1,084 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Barcelo Montelimar

What is "the volcano"? There are like 10 of them here.

Do you have your own transportation? The resort isnt really near much at all.

You could go to managua which is an hour away and maybe go shopping or something. Or check out the nearby reserves like chocoyero-el brujo reserve.

If you liked granada you could head up to leon a couple hours away, similar colonial architecture. Similar tourist hotspot.

What kind of stuff do you like to do? Its hard to recommend things to do without knowing if you like outdoors or indoors stuff. If you arena luxury tourist, or a roughing it tourist. Prefer seeing over doing, or vice versa?

Managua, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
908 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Barcelo Montelimar

Greetings Sarah:

I have regular guests who have a home in nearby Pochomil. When they were here last, I arranged to pick them up early at the beach. They wanted to learn a little bit about local culture, so I suggested to go and check out a Fiesta Patronal. In this case, there was a celebration in Diriamba. They really enjoyed the procession, the marching bands and the general street fair atmosphere. We ended the day with a nice meal, and then returned to my farm which is a bed-and-breakfast.

I just looked at a website that has a calendar for all the fiestas in the year, and I see there is one in Caterina on January 1st. There are others listed on the website: http://andayanicaragua.com/celebraciones/

So that is one idea. Another idea for you, is to go to Caterina, which is beautiful and overlooks Laguna de Apoyo. Nearby is the pottery village of San Juan de Oriente. There are wonderful artists there who will throw a pot for you and explain the whole process of making ceramics. It is pretty amazing once you understand the process how such beautiful pieces can be so inexpensive.

Like the other poster said, it sort of depends on what kind of things you're interested in.

Cheers, Mike @ Farmstay El Portón Verde

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
355 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Barcelo Montelimar

Sorry to not answer your question directly. We spent this past weekend there and it would be hard for me to recommend this place. You feel more like you're in a people factory than at a relaxing resport. Depending on your expectations I'd think twice about this place. Non-existent customer service (although the massage therapists were great and worth it).

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Barcelo Montelimar

Thanks for the thoughts. i can't remeber the name of the volcano but it was the one next to a lake and had a lot of sulphur coming out of it. it was on a day trip from el salvador and was a stop on the way. we are more into wildlife- bird watching. animals and aquatic areas. My husband loves fishing but inshore casting rather than deep sea. we use the hotel as a base to do day trips more than to sit on the beach but love a couple days to relax.

Managua, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
1,084 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Barcelo Montelimar

Seems like an expensive, and out of the way place to have as a base for day trips. Its not really near anything so your day trips will be longer and filled with more travel.

Plus its expensive. You pay for the all inclusive part. The food. The facilities. Maybe you have the money, and thats none of my business, but it seems unnecessary to pay that extra fee if its just a place to sleep in between day trips and many days you wont take advantage of the perks of staying there.

I dont know where your day trips are, but if you are like 90% of the tourists, you would be better off, and more centrally located staying outside managua, or in leon, masaya, granada, etc. And you can find places to sleep for less than 1/4 the cost of montelimar.

Ive been there and its really nice, so if you are looking for a couple days to relax in an all inclusive resort, go for it. I just dont recommend it for long stays and using it as a base to go out all day every day.

6. Re: Barcelo Montelimar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, September 16, 2014