We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Desert Express

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
44 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Desert Express

Does anyone know anything about this train. I can find very little feedback! Thinking of booking it for next year but would like to have some opinions.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,793 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Desert Express

Missed out on going on it on a couple of years ago. It was meant to be a birthday present for me. It would have ended our Namibia trip on a high, but it was full (some film crew had booked it).

We saw it arrive in Swakopmund, but then we had to drive all the way back to Windhoek. Still, we did get to see a horned adder!

It's supposed to be luxurious and you get an overnight stop in the desert, so depends if that is what you are looking for. I can't comment on whether it is worth it.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
44 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Desert Express

Thank you Peterscot for your reply. I have found a few websites with information but would like to hear it from the horses mouth..so to speak, someone who actually went on this train. Thanks again

Jonesboro...
Level Contributor
1 post
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Desert Express

We took the Desert Express from Swakopmund to Windhoek in December of 2000, and were VERY impressed! [We wanted to book it again this year [2006], but were disappointed to find that it was not running this Dec., during the holidays.] It did indeed stop overnight at a siding, and the crew helped passengers who went outside pick out star formations in the crystal-clear sky. The food, compartments, and amenities [gratis drinks in the club car as you started out, etc.] were all outstanding, as was the scenery and the two other stops--one at a private game ranch [which catered to German tourists] where we saw some rogue lions brought down from north where they were killing cattle feed just a few feet away, inside a fenced-in area. The other stop, on the first day, was at a site where the passengers walked about 1/2 mile to the site of a former German military encampment during World War I, when the British/South Africans invaded the then-German colony. The un-rusted cans, etc. from some 90+ years ago were still all there! Nice picnic lunch followed. All-in-all it was a most memorable trip, and one which we would highly recommend--assuming that it's basically the same now.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
30 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Desert Express

Hey Beachedwhale. Did you go on the Desert Express?? I am looking at going at the end of this year on the 6 day trip so would love to hear how it went for you.

Cheers

Rico

5. Re: Desert Express

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:22 am, September 26, 2009