We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stop-over between Swapkopmund and Etosha

Cape Town
Level Contributor
66 posts
122 reviews
Save Topic
Stop-over between Swapkopmund and Etosha

Hallo,

I am wondering if anyone can recommend a stop-over point between Swakopmund and Etosha to break the drive -- we are driving ourselves.

We are thinking of staying at the Erindi Private Game Lodge although I've not yet looked into the cost.

All suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thank you.

Namibia
Level Contributor
557 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stop-over between Swapkopmund and Etosha

Erindi would be an option, but it's a bit out of the way and you would have to drive quite a bit to get to Erindi and then turn north and go to Etosha.

A good stop over would be somewhere near Omaruru, AiAiba Lodge or Erongo Wilderness Lodge would be good option here.

Clive - Suricate Safaris Namibia

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
266 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stop-over between Swapkopmund and Etosha

We have driven between swakop and etosha twice and I would suggest driving up via damaraland and stopping at mowani mountain camp. The scenery is stunning all through damaraland and this camp in particular blew us away in 2012. On our recent trip in feb we stayed also in damaraland at grootberg lodge, still lovely but not quite on the same level as mowani I found. Mowani is more expensive though. In any case I don't think you'll be disappointed in any stay in damaraland and makes a good stop between swakop and etosha.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
66 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stop-over between Swapkopmund and Etosha

Thank you both NamXpert and LKK01. Unfortunately I wasn't able to read your replies soon enough, and my husband has already booked and paid for Erindi based on a recommendation from a friend of his who did a similar trip. So we will be there for a night. But thank you so much for your recommendations, very much appreciated. We will be in a sedan car, not a 4x4, so I'm not this would've affected our choice, possibly going the routes you suggested would not work for our sedan 2x4? Anyway, I now know options for our NEXT trip to Namibia! :)

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stop-over between Swapkopmund and Etosha

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. I agree with LKK01, damarland is the prettiest part of Namibia. I hate that you will miss it. A 4x2 would have been fine. Mowani mountain camp has the best sundowners on top of the mountain. It is a great camp and very luxurious. If there is any way to make a change, I would certainly recommend it. You would love Mowani. If not, enjoy Erindi, even if out of the way a good bit.,

Cape Town
Level Contributor
66 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stop-over between Swapkopmund and Etosha

Hallo everyone who so kindly provided options, and possibly to anyone reading this list who is looking for ideas for their upcoming trip:

We are now home after two wonderful weeks driving through Namibia -- what a wonderful country!!!

After having stayed at Erindi Old Traders Lodge, I would wholeheartedly recommend AGAINST staying there! It was awful! It felt like a huge chain hotel had been plonked down in a zoo and masses of tourists were being pushed through, just a number to please the shareholders. It was a soulless experience.

It was also quite a drive along the dirt road from Omaruru to the reserve (I think it took an hour or 1.5 hours in one direction). It would've been better to have driven direct from Swakopmund to Okaukuejo (Etosha). Or as recommended above, to have driven up through Damaraland (although we never got to Damaraland, so I cannot comment personally on that).

Some people love Erindi, as we read on Tripadvisor. But for travellers like my husband and I, it felt like tourism on a mass scale. We hated the dining experience, where the dining hall and buffet felt like a canteen. and strict meal times had to be adhered to (on our game drive the guide said he had to get us back in before breakfast ended, so he rushed back). The waiter service was terrible, non-existent. The water hole at the dining hall was depressing -- a muddy hole with crocodiles, no vegetation, looked like a manmade scar on the landscape.

The game drive was very comfortable because the new Landrovers are fantastic. But again, tourists packed into every available seat, and all lions wear collars so we "tracked" them down via high-tech instruments. Some cars have bushmen in loin clothes and feathered headbands sitting on the bonnet, acting as trackers -- an African curio for the tourist photographs. The animals were skittish, and according to our guide (who was excellent) this was because there was recentl culling in the private reserve to level out the animal numbers. We saw several animals, but it felt like we were in a zoo, and I didn't enjoy it. I far preferred driving ourselves through Etosha.

What can be said about Erindi is that our bedroom and bathroom were luxurious, large and roomy, massive bathroom in granite and travertine up to the ceiling, "his and her" basins, and a private patio where we sat in the evening and watched a rhino a few metres away as he grazed. But the walkways are cement and soulless, the door to our room was glass (Why?? We had the outside light streaming in all night, there was no way we could darken our bedroom), and (except for the sweet guy who carried our luggage and the guide on our afternoon game drive) not one person there knew our names or could be bothered to give us decent service.

london
Level Contributor
29 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stop-over between Swapkopmund and Etosha

Thanks for this info. Sounds like the kind of place I'd really dislike too, it's useful, when planning a trip, to hear about the not so good places as well as the great ones. One to avoid for me.

7. Re: Stop-over between Swapkopmund and Etosha

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:35 am, May 08, 2014
Cape Town
Level Contributor
66 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stop-over between Swapkopmund and Etosha

Hi missmoneypenny_9. So glad this could be of use to you. I have found the Tripadvisor forums and contributors to be so helpful and I'm happy I could help, too.

9. Re: Stop-over between Swapkopmund and Etosha

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, May 13, 2015