We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Birthday dinner: need restaurant recommendations please!

Which Swakopmund hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Birthday dinner: need restaurant recommendations please!

Hi, it'll be my partner's birthday whilst we're on holiday in Namibia in early October, specifically in Swakopmund on the actual birthday.

What restaurant would you recommend for a special birthday dinner? Not sure of there's higher end or fine dining options, but we're big on memorable settings and great food.

Looking through the list on tripadvisor, I'm inclined to go with The Wreck Restaurant? Hansa seems too old fashioned...

Many thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Swakopmund, Namibia
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Birthday dinner: need restaurant recommendations please!

Hi!

The Wreck offers a good creative cuisine at very reasonable prices, I like the place. It's not in the center of town, though, but a bit to the North of Swakopmund.

You might also consider "The Tug" which is situated just at the old Jetty with a nice view of the Atlantic Ocean. You can ask for a table at the window to the sea when making your reservation. They offer a good variety of seafood dishes as well as meat and a nice choice of wines.

Hansa Hotel has got a good chef, but they really are a bit what you called old fashioned...

I hope you will enjoy your birthday in Swakopmund!

Cheers,

Christian

Windhoek, Namibia
Level Contributor
324 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Birthday dinner: need restaurant recommendations please!

i would go with Christians advice, Tug or the wreck, although i think the tug has more character.

another nice place is the Brauhaus, very german, good food

Kuckis Pub one of the older one and my fav

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Birthday dinner: need restaurant recommendations please!

I like Chris' suggestion of Kuckis- we liked it quite a bit. We were not as impressed with the Tug as others.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Birthday dinner: need restaurant recommendations please!

Thanks everyone for the quick replies! Given it's a birthday and I'd like it to be more special, I think it'll give The Wreck a go and make a booking. We have a 2nd night in Swakopmund so might go for more of a casual dinner at Tug or Kuckis. Thanks again for the rec's!

california
Level Contributor
306 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Birthday dinner: need restaurant recommendations please!

I loved them both but if you go for Kuchi's be sure and reserve upstairs in the wine room. We loved walking to dinner so it could depend on where you're staying.

Pretoria South
Level Contributor
32 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Birthday dinner: need restaurant recommendations please!

We stayed in the Beach Lodge where the restaurant is situated and while the hotel is great, the food and atmosphere of The Wreck made absolutely no impression on me.

My choice would be The Jetty 1905 - on the end of the pier on the premises of The Tug - has the most awesome atmosphere and food. It has wraparound sea-views with glass floor tiles where you can see into the sea. Kucki's would be my 2nd choice - if you book in the wine bar. Beautiful woodwork wine racks and upholstered furniture.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Birthday dinner: need restaurant recommendations please!

Definitely the Jetty Restaurant. It is something special sitting way out on the sea. If you decide to book here be sure to ask for a table next to the window and towards the back of the restaurant. Really great atmoshere and as close as you are going to get on fine dining. We thought it was fantastic and real value for money.

8. Re: Birthday dinner: need restaurant recommendations please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:30 am, January 12, 2016
Swakopmund, Namibia
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Birthday dinner: need restaurant recommendations please!

For transparency's sake I might add that @munkelwitz is the owner of said establishment ;)

London, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Birthday dinner: need restaurant recommendations please!

Thanks Christian and all for the tips, restaurants booked and we leave next week, very excited! One final question, what is the mosquito situation in Swakopmund when we're there? Do I need to worry about repellents and clothing that covers as I get allergic reactions to bites. Thanks!