We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sandboarding or Sandboarding and Quads ?

Which Swakopmund hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
CMR
Level Contributor
66 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Sandboarding or Sandboarding and Quads ?

Has anyone any experience of Desert Explorers sandboarding and Quad Combo?

I'm really not sure how to go.. The sandboarding on its own lasts about four hours and includes snack etc, but there is also a sandboarding and quad cobo, 1 hr sandboarding and 2 hrs on a quad.

I've never been on a quad because I went on the back of a skidoo in Lapland and didn't really enjoy it, but my OH did quads in Uganda and loved it.

Would I be a real girl and hold everyone up? Has anyone come off and really hurt themselves? Must admit it looks fun but would be interested to know if anyone has done it before.

Thanks!

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,637 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sandboarding or Sandboarding and Quads ?

I haven't done the combo but have done the quad biking with desert explorers a few times.

I am not very good and am rather slow but desert explorers have 2 types of quads, manual and automatic.

The guys that take out the manual quads tend to be the ones that are going to zoom about and they are very good at splitting groups into similar 'skill levels'

I usually go in the slow group so I don't hold people up, so you won't have anything to worry about.

I have come off a couple of times but just got a few bruises as I tend to have the most low speed rolls they have ever seen.

Infact if you can be brave and keep the power up then you are much less likely to come off the thing...but like I said quad biking is apparently not my forte!

Market Bosworth...
Level Contributor
1,731 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sandboarding or Sandboarding and Quads ?

Just make sure you check your travel insurance as well as some insurers class quad bikes etc as 'dangerous sports' and heaven forbid you do come off and do a bit more than scrape yourself on the sand or get a nice bruise you could find you are not covered...

Windhoek, Namibia
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sandboarding or Sandboarding and Quads ?

There are several companies offering Sandboarding, quad biking and combos in Swakopmund, Langstrand and Walvis Bay. Before I did my first quad biking trip with my little daughter I contacted several and finally decided on Dare Devil Adventures at Langstrand as they not only have both manual & automatics, but also offered to take my daughter and me for our first trip on a private tour for no extra charge. This was however dependent on availability of guides and quad bikes.

I would advice you to contact several of the companies and ask how they handle private tours and if they have groups with different skill levels.

I have done by now about 10 trips with Dare Devil Adventures, most of these with my daughter on the bike and we never had any falls or accidents. But yes I would advice that for Sandboarding and / or quad biking you make sure you have the right insurance cover.

London, United...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Sandboarding or Sandboarding and Quads ?

I went quad biking in Swakopmond and being a bit of an idiot decided to go for the manual version never having ridden a motorbike with similar gears. Managed OK, and was just getting used to it by the end, but recommend auto if you haven't done it before.

Cary, North Carolina
Level Contributor
385 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sandboarding or Sandboarding and Quads ?

I have done a lot of quadbiking and I may be biased, but I have never done the combo. As a beginner the combo may be a good option to experience both the sandboarding and the quadbikes.

6. Re: Sandboarding or Sandboarding and Quads ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 am, March 14, 2012